Jailbreaked 1.1.4 doesn't save bookmarks/web history & always go back to old settings

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I had a jailbreaked 1.1.3 that crashed on me and got in recovery mode about 3 weeks ago. I decided it was the right time to upgrade to 1.1.4.

So I plugged my phone in iTunes which recognized it was in recovery mode, I restored and updated to 1.1.4 (choosing to apply the latest backup) and jailbreaked it with ziPhone right away. Worked great until.....

I realized that my Google Maps were always coming back to an old search I did (actually it was the last search on Google Maps before upgrading). I thought it was a 1.1.4 bug.

Then I realized that when I opened Safari, it was always coming back to webpages I had just visited before updating. Whatever I do, every time I open Safari, it shows these 2 pages.

Lastly, I recently realized that Safari doesn't save my bookmarks. I save them, restart, the phone and it's gone. If I save an icon to the springboard, then it works. Safari doesn't save the web history either!

So basically, my phone is always stuck to previous settings (maps, web history, web bookmarks) that were when I was still on 1.1.3.

It is very annoying and I have no idea what the problem could be. Maybe that fact that I chose to restore and then use settings from a previous backup?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I don't know how many times this needs to be said, and im sorry if I seem rude right now, but NEVER RESTORE FROM A BACKUP!

you will also not be able to save pictures, and notes, so just restore and do NOT restore from backup. set it up as a new phone.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I don't know how many times this needs to be said, and im sorry if I seem rude right now, but NEVER RESTORE FROM A BACKUP!

you will also not be able to save pictures, and notes, so just restore and do NOT restore from backup. set it up as a new phone.
Sorry Mom, I won't do it again :oops: HAHA

Thanks bro. I was pretty sure the problem came from there but I read a bunch of threads where people suggested it was cool to restore from backup. I guess I'm gonna spend the next hour restoring, reinstalling all apps and stuffs.

Thank you
s

dheep

May 3, 2008
I had a jailbreaked 1.1.3 that crashed on me and got in recovery mode about 3 weeks ago. I decided it was the right time to upgrade to 1.1.4.

So I plugged my phone in iTunes which recognized it was in recovery mode, I restored and updated to 1.1.4 (choosing to apply the latest backup) and jailbreaked it with ziPhone right away. Worked great until.....

I realized that my Google Maps were always coming back to an old search I did (actually it was the last search on Google Maps before upgrading). I thought it was a 1.1.4 bug.

Then I realized that when I opened Safari, it was always coming back to webpages I had just visited before updating. Whatever I do, every time I open Safari, it shows these 2 pages.

Lastly, I recently realized that Safari doesn't save my bookmarks. I save them, restart, the phone and it's gone. If I save an icon to the springboard, then it works. Safari doesn't save the web history either!

So basically, my phone is always stuck to previous settings (maps, web history, web bookmarks) that were when I was still on 1.1.3.

It is very annoying and I have no idea what the problem could be. Maybe that fact that I chose to restore and then use settings from a previous backup?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Safari, Camera, and other issues fixed on Jailbroken iPhone

April 24th, 2008 · No Comments

So, I’ve discovered that more than one application has been causing me problems on my iPhone. First the camera wouldn’t save images, and then I noticed Safari wasn’t saving my history properly, nor was it allowing me to save bookmarks properly. Of course, this fix requires that your phone be jailbroken, and that you have the ability to either login to your phone using SSH, or WinSCP, or similar SSH/SCP tool; or alternatively if you install Term VT-100 on your phone.
The fixes are all related to permissions and ownership. Most applications on the iPhone require to be marked as owned by user ‘mobile’ and group ‘wheel’. The problem with Safari and the Camera has to do with the fact that ownership is set to ‘root’ and ‘wheel’. The commands to use whether you SSH into your phone, or if you use Term VT-100 are:
chown -R mobile:wheel /var/mobile/Safari
chown -R mobile:wheel /var/mobile/Cookies
chown -R mobile:wheel /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE
Using a tool like WinSCP, you should be able to change the contents of these directories, and all of their by clicking on these folders and changing the owner to ‘mobile’. Alternatively, you can change the permissions on the folder (and contents) to rwxrwxrwx. This will enable anyone to read, write or execute. And DONE.

courtesy: http://nuglet.net/?p=19