Jailbreaking 3GS with Redsnow: Won't go into DFU mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Little-Acorn, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

I get the feeling this is the most common problem people ever have on this phone.

I'm trying to jailbreak it, using RedSnow.

I've looked at several Youtube videos on how to do it. I've also followed Redsnow's (version 0.9.10b1) instructions, when I was trying to jailbreak the phone. Darned if I know why, but my 3GS just won't do what the instructions say it should do.

How do I know when it's IN this DFU mode? I just get a black screen. And Redsnow says it can't detect the device, and that I probably misunderstood the instructions.

That wouldn't be the first time... but the instructions are pretty simple and straightforward.

First, Apple's big PDF manual doesn't mention any "Power button". But it says the 3GS has a Sleep/Wake button, at the right side of the top edge. Is that it? I've been treating it as such. Maybe that's the problem?

(Is it obvious yet, that I'm a complete iPhone newbie?)

Under "Settings" in the 3GS, it says it is Version 5.0.1 - and further down it says it is Modem 06.15.00 . Are those jail-breakable numbers?

With the 3GS on, I plug it into the USB port on the computer (A Windows XP system). Then I hold down that Sleep/Wake button until I get the screenthat has the red slider, saying "Slide to turn off power". I slide it, and the screen goes black, as I expected.

Then I tell RedSnow to GO. Its instructions come up, and then:

I hold down that sleep/wake button for two seconds.

Then, still holding down the sleep/wake button, I also press the Home button, and hold both of them for like 12 seconds.

Then I release the sleep/wake button, but keep holding the Home button for another 7 seconds.

I wind up with a black screen, and get a message on the PC that DFU mode has failed, no device detected, I probably Misunderstood the directions etc.

Actually that scared me - I thought I had just trashed my iPhone. It was tough getting it out of that black-screen mode. I finally held down Sleep/Wake and Home at the same time for about 10 seconds, and finally the Apple logo appeared in the middle of the screen. Released the Sleep/Wake button, and after about a minute it finally woke up and buzzed at me. Then it worked normally.

What am I doing wrong, when trying to put it in DFU mode?

2. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

BTW, do I have to have iTunes installed on my PC computer, when trying to jailbreak using Redsnow?

I don't. Could that be why jailbreaking doesn't work?

3. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hmm...since I was restoring a hacked firmware file (IPSW) I took a different route than most.

"First, Apple's big PDF manual doesn't mention any "Power button". But it says the 3GS has a Sleep/Wake button, at the right side of the top edge. Is that it? I've been treating it as such."
    Correct!

"Under "Settings" in the 3GS, it says it is Version 5.0.1 - and further down it says it is Modem 06.15.00 . Are those jail-breakable numbers?"
    Both jail-breakable and unlockable.

Do you know how to turn off (not suspend) your iPhone? You must hold down the power button, wait till the OS says you must slide to turn off, then do so. HOWEVER, please first plug in the phone, and *then* turn it off. After this, start redsn0w with admin permissions, and follow the jailbreak instructions exactly, and it should work.

"BTW, do I have to have iTunes installed on my PC computer, when trying to jailbreak using Redsnow?
    I don't. Could that be why jailbreaking doesn't work?"
    I don't think so.

4. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Thank you, ring0_event! I'll give it a try.