Jailbreaking for the newb in me.....please help

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
OK so Im leaning on jailbreaking my iPhone and have a few questions. I have done much research and its still a bit confusing so please hear me out.

I have a 3G iPhone with 2.2.1 on it
I have figured out that Yellowsnow or whatever its called is for unlocking the phone which I have NO intrest in doing
Then theres quickpwn and a few other programs I saw available for downloading. Is quickpwn all I need or am I missing something here.
Im looking for the most reliable program to jailbreak
Also the restore and backup of iTunes is a bit confusing to me. First I have to backup? which backs up personal info and apps? And restore brings everything back? I have 6 pages of apps and don't want to lose anything and I guess Im just being cautious or nervous.

and lastly....if anyone can find an up-to-date tutorial for 2.2.1 with easy instructions....Ive searched here quickly, iPhonehacks and planet iPhones. But theres just soooo many tutorials and downloads and links for me to take it all in.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Sync your phone with iTunes. This will back-up all your information etc apps/contacts/notes/sms (you get the picture)

Download QuickPwn. Make sure it's the latest version.

Run the programme.
Do exactly what it tell's you to do. (honestly it's idiot proof- well nearly)
QuickPwn will create custom 2.2.1 Firmware and install it onto your nice iPhone.

It's simple as that. Get on cydia (which will appear on your Springboard) and have a look around, get winterboard and get your phone personalized

If I've been too basic.. try youtube. There are so many video's out there. They all do/show exactly the same thing.

Lastly... ENJOY

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There's tons of how to videos on Youtube. I watched this one before I JB the first time and it explained everything well.

Your media will all still be in your iTunes library, so you just sync it back to the phone if you do a full restore before JB'ing. If you just run QuickPWN without restoring first, it will put Cydia on your phone (it also puts Installer on there but it's no good...use Cydia instead) and keep all your App store apps, media, contacts, settings etc on your phone.

If you want to restore first, sycn your phone in iTunes and be sure sync your contacts in iTunes through a Google/Gmail or Yahoo acct. This is very important, if you don't, you'll have to manually put them all back in. You'll lose your SMS and Notes this time, but you won't on subsequent JB's because you'll be able to save the files once the phone is JB.

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
ok.....I got the actual jailbreak process down. I haven't attempted yet but I have no further questions on that. What I am confused is about the restore feature in iTunes. I have never used the restore feature or updated my phone or anything. Its only a few months old and came with 2.2.1 installed so please excuse the newb in me. What exactlt does the restore feature do? From my understanding it restores the phone back to its orig state like when buying new right? If so....then how do I get my apps and app settings back? Once I go through this I know I will be like....thats it....it was so easy but I'm clueless now. Everyone says sync first so you don't lose anything....but if the restore feature erases everything....how do you get your apps back? Also....when getting the apps back.....is all of the personal settings and info added to the app back....or is the app just like new also? I have a password app with a lot of personal info in it and will I have to re-enter all of the info.....thats basically what I mean.

Thanks for the provided info so far....that video was very very useful!

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Sync your phone with iTunes. This will back-up all your information etc apps/contacts/notes/sms (you get the picture)

Download QuickPwn. Make sure it's the latest version.

Run the programme.
Do exactly what it tell's you to do. (honestly it's idiot proof- well nearly)
QuickPwn will create custom 2.2.1 Firmware and install it onto your nice iPhone.

It's simple as that. Get on cydia (which will appear on your Springboard) and have a look around, get winterboard and get your phone personalized

If I've been too basic.. try youtube. There are so many video's out there. They all do/show exactly the same thing.

Lastly... ENJOY
Quick little addition. Before you start anything go out to an retailer and buy a cheap USB hub. If your mac is updated or new, Quickpwn will not beable to complete the Jailbreak process because the mac wont detect the phone in DFU mode. I went out an bought one for 6bucks after i learned about the whole Mac and usb issue.

ok.....I got the actual jailbreak process down. I haven't attempted yet but I have no further questions on that. What I am confused is about the restore feature in iTunes. I have never used the restore feature or updated my phone or anything. Its only a few months old and came with 2.2.1 installed so please excuse the newb in me. What exactlt does the restore feature do? From my understanding it restores the phone back to its orig state like when buying new right? If so....then how do I get my apps and app settings back? Once I go through this I know I will be like....thats it....it was so easy but I'm clueless now. Everyone says sync first so you don't lose anything....but if the restore feature erases everything....how do you get your apps back? Also....when getting the apps back.....is all of the personal settings and info added to the app back....or is the app just like new also? I have a password app with a lot of personal info in it and will I have to re-enter all of the info.....thats basically what I mean.

Thanks for the provided info so far....that video was very very useful!
When you restore, you will be restoring the phone to brand new status. Once the restore is complete you connect your iPhone to iTunes and it will put all your contacts/sms/music/apps back on the phone.

Why does my QuickPWN not look the video?
That Quickpwn video is showing what to do/ what it looks like on a mac.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
ant, The restore process restores the phone to the factory settings or it can restore it from a back up. Restoring from back up will put your settings back in. The main drawbacks to Jailbreaking is that it makes the FW update process much more time consuming. If you keep your phone stock, the updates are a piece of cake and don't require a restore. All your settings will remain. When you JB, it is a very good idea to restore the phone to factory settings before doing the FW updates (restoring from back up leaves traces of the JB and can potentially cause problems). This requires that you sync the media back on (songs, videos, and apps stay in your iTunes library and simply need to be resync'd), however, you will have to put your settings and passwords back in.

Your contacts, SMS, and notes will be erased, but you can back them all up. Back up your contacts in iTunes with a Google or Yahoo acct. Back up the notes and SMS files with SSH (iPhoneBrowser for PC or Diskaid for Mac). The last time I restored my phone, the entire process took 3 hours (1.5 hour to restore, resync and Jailbreak and 1.5 hours to get all my JB apps, settings, themes, and passwords back in). This would have been a simple 20 minute update if it wasn't jailbroken because nothing would have been erased. The other drawback to JB'ing is it may cause some lag. Not everyone experiences this. I'm not advising against, just letting you know it takes some time to restore. The pros of JB'ing far outweigh the cons for me.