Jailbreaking is dead...

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by liberated, Nov 29, 2011.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I fear that Apple may have won the game of cat and mouse here. A public stable unthetered jailbreak for the 4S iOS5 is still not available and Apple has already released 5.01, almost 5.02 and a beta 5.1 It seems like Apple currently have the upper hand. This of course sucks as I love jail breaking and enjoyed many pads cydia apps.

2. bassreflex

bassreflex Member
    Bronze

I think you're pushing the envelope a little there. Just because it is taking time doesn't mean it is impossible or never going to happen.

3. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

patience young grass hopper.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've waited a lot longer than this for an untethered jailbreak for an iPhone. A month and a half is nothing.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They're working on it. It took six weeks for the first iPhone 4 jailbreak. This one is taking longer, but they do have it jailbroken. However, it still needs some work before it will be ready for a public release.

6. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

plus they want to be ready for 5.1

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

It seems Apple's real defense is regular tweaks, which was less frequent in earlier iOS's. The more they tweak or put out a Beta the more they delay everyone from releasing a new jailbreak for fear of a premature release. Either that Is their strategy or they just can't to seem to get it right the first time.

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Really? I was thinking just the opposite.

9. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

There were

6 v1's
    6 v2's
    5 v3's

And

9 v4's

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's no secret that Apple is constantly trying to thwart jailbreaking. They have been doing this since day one. It was 100% of the motivation for them to switch to the new bootrom models of the 3GS just a few months after the 3GS was first released back in 2009. A hardware update midway through production (to counter jailbreaking) is much more significant than a firmware update. They knew they couldn't stop the jailbreak hackers, so they tried to slow them down and make the user experience not as good (tethered) on a jailbroken iPhone.

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Also keep in mind that iOS 4 had a lifetime 3-4 months longer than the previous 3 iOSes. Taking this into account, the average update frequency is about 51 days, which isn't that much different than iOS 1 and 2 at about 56 days.

Even disregarding that, I don't think you can jump to the conclusion that the intention is to thwart jailbreaking more than they have in the past. Only one of those nine updates was specifically to address a jailbreak method, which also happened to be a general security hole; Imagine if a more malevolent comex developed something like jailbreakme.com. All of the other updates were accompanied by at least bug fixes.

Like Europa mentioned, I think their hardware updating speaks more to their anti-jailbreak strategy than their software update frequency does.

12. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Contributor
    Silver

You know Apple is going to release updates that may be worthwhile. Why blow an exploit so soon. Give Apple a few more updates then when Apple's tank runs dry, a good jailbreak shall be released.

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

In addition to what Europa and Hippo have said the new processor has been a problem as well the other hardware updates.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They are never going to get to a point when updates aren't right around the corner. We might make it a few months without an iOS update, but there is no way to predict that.

15. crystus

crystus Member
    Bronze

Well an interesting twist is that the ramdisk on the new beta was not encrypted. Seems they were able to extract the VF decrypt keys which is nice for a change.

16. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Contributor
    Silver

Lol i remember the 3.x.x days, there would be an Apple update like once a month, and a Jailbreak would be just a week behind.
    GeoHot and DevTeam tore that crap up!

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That was before the dark times - before the Empire...
    [​IMG]

#17 Napoleon PhoneApart, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  18. JFN

JFN Member
    Bronze

I am slow to upgrade iOS and hardware, as I really enjoy the features of a jail broken iPhone, waiting patiently foer the next jailbreak for the 4 s then I might jump.

But, then 5 is just around the corner, so I might still have to wait.

19. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I highly approve of this post!

#19 snowtrooper1966, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I thought you would.