Jailbreaking is dead...

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I fear that Apple may have won the game of cat and mouse here. A public stable unthetered jailbreak for the 4S iOS5 is still not available and Apple has already released 5.01, almost 5.02 and a beta 5.1 It seems like Apple currently have the upper hand. This of course sucks as I love jail breaking and enjoyed many pads cydia apps.

bassreflex

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
I think you're pushing the envelope a little there. Just because it is taking time doesn't mean it is impossible or never going to happen.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They're working on it. It took six weeks for the first iPhone 4 jailbreak. This one is taking longer, but they do have it jailbroken. However, it still needs some work before it will be ready for a public release.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
It seems Apple's real defense is regular tweaks, which was less frequent in earlier iOS's. The more they tweak or put out a Beta the more they delay everyone from releasing a new jailbreak for fear of a premature release. Either that Is their strategy or they just can't to seem to get it right the first time.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There were

6 v1's
6 v2's
5 v3's

And

9 v4's
It's no secret that Apple is constantly trying to thwart jailbreaking. They have been doing this since day one. It was 100% of the motivation for them to switch to the new bootrom models of the 3GS just a few months after the 3GS was first released back in 2009. A hardware update midway through production (to counter jailbreaking) is much more significant than a firmware update. They knew they couldn't stop the jailbreak hackers, so they tried to slow them down and make the user experience not as good (tethered) on a jailbroken iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Also keep in mind that iOS 4 had a lifetime 3-4 months longer than the previous 3 iOSes. Taking this into account, the average update frequency is about 51 days, which isn't that much different than iOS 1 and 2 at about 56 days.

Even disregarding that, I don't think you can jump to the conclusion that the intention is to thwart jailbreaking more than they have in the past. Only one of those nine updates was specifically to address a jailbreak method, which also happened to be a general security hole; Imagine if a more malevolent comex developed something like jailbreakme.com. All of the other updates were accompanied by at least bug fixes.

Like Europa mentioned, I think their hardware updating speaks more to their anti-jailbreak strategy than their software update frequency does.

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
You know Apple is going to release updates that may be worthwhile. Why blow an exploit so soon. Give Apple a few more updates then when Apple's tank runs dry, a good jailbreak shall be released.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
In addition to what Europa and Hippo have said the new processor has been a problem as well the other hardware updates.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You know Apple is going to release updates that may be worthwhile. Why blow an exploit so soon. Give Apple a few more updates then when Apple's tank runs dry, a good jailbreak shall be released.
They are never going to get to a point when updates aren't right around the corner. We might make it a few months without an iOS update, but there is no way to predict that.

crystus

Bronze
Jul 5, 2009
Deltona, FL
Well an interesting twist is that the ramdisk on the new beta was not encrypted. Seems they were able to extract the VF decrypt keys which is nice for a change.

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
Lol i remember the 3.x.x days, there would be an Apple update like once a month, and a Jailbreak would be just a week behind.
GeoHot and DevTeam tore that crap up!

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
I am slow to upgrade iOS and hardware, as I really enjoy the features of a jail broken iPhone, waiting patiently foer the next jailbreak for the 4 s then I might jump.

But, then 5 is just around the corner, so I might still have to wait.