Jailbreaking just a few questions Thanks!

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
So i'm about 5 minutes away from jailbreaking my 8GB 3G iPhone and i'm backing up my files i'm going to be using redSnow to jailbreak. Now keep in mind I haven't jailbroken my phone since the V1 iPhone so i'm a little rusty and figured i'd ask the pros for this one. As far as using Winterboard i'm assuming this is the new "Summerboard" that we all used to use and how do I install this, also what is Cydia I keep seeing and what would my steps on installing these be? How is my iPhone going to run being that it is the 3G is it going to lag badly compared to it pre-jailbreak? I'd like to do this soon so i'd appreciate the input. Thanks guys.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
Ok so I just jailbroke my iPhone and read up on one of our forums i'm pretty set on finding themes and stuff like that I just had a quick question, I back up my iPhone before doing all this so I have my contacts, applications, and pictures saved somewhere. how do I get the all back on the phone without loading up the 3.0 software and having the phone brick up on me. I selected Set up new iPhone instead of Restore Steve's iPhone when it rebooted cause i didn't want anything happening to it and messing up my jailbreak. Any answers will help thank you!

Mo Lester

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Just sync it as a new phone, you will get your contacts and stuff back

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Syncing it in iTunes will put all you media back on. You'll have to put your settings back in and set up email again. Cydia is like Installer. You can also use Icy as an installer. Hopefully you backed up your contacts in a Gmail/Yahoo account if you don't have Mobile Me.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
Well I was assuming that by allowing the "backup of steve's iPhone" that included my contacts I guess i'm going to have to restore the phone and instead of setting it up as a new phone Select Backup of Steve's iPhone instead, but would that affect the jailbreak I just did?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It will remove the jailbreak. The back up does contain the contacts. It just that I recommend restoring to factory settings after jailbreaking (before each Apple FW update). Restoring from back up is only ok at this point if you haven't backed up since you jailbroke it. Otherwise, it will leave traces of the JB on it. It's always a good idea to back up your contacts in Yahoo or Gmail (if you don't have mobile me) on day one of getting an iPhone, especially if you are going to jailbreak.

You should be fine to delete the backup that was created while jailbreaking or you can restore from backup, get the contacts syncd with Gmail, and then restore to factory settings and sync them on.