Jailbreaking or not

scholls22

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
What are the consequences as far as if the phone breaks? What other programs are out there that are not already available? Pros/Cons

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have never done this and know very little about it. IMO with the App Store now there is no reason for me to jailbreak. The apps are more stable from the App Store and has or will have most everything that jailbreaking offers.
Many will disagree with me, but just my 2cents.

scholls22

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
I have never done this and know very little about it. IMO with the App Store now there is no reason for me to jailbreak. The apps are more stable from the App Store and has or will have most everything that jailbreaking offers.
Many will disagree with me, but just my 2cents.
Thanks. Everywhere I look on the web is all about jailbreaking the phone...i see it voids your warranty and kind of hesitant since there is no insurance on the phone...

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Well the jailbreak method is purely software based and so it's completely undoable. If somethin gets messed up or you want to make the phone legal again all you have to do is restore it back to the normal firmware and it's a virgin all over again.

I jailbroke my V1 pretty much just so I could use BOSSPREFS to disable EDGE (using it without a data plan). But other people do it to installed 3rd party apps that probably won't get into the app store. And eventually you will be able to customize a lot of thigns appearance-wise if it's jailbroken.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Thanks. Everywhere I look on the web is all about jailbreaking the phone...i see it voids your warranty and kind of hesitant since there is no insurance on the phone...
A jailbroken phone can be restored to original settings if there is a problem that the phone has to be returned. Jailbreaking can be easy or it can be a big hassle. If you look at the mod. section of this forum, you will see people constantly crying out for help from problems they are having. Like I said, with the App Store it just seems to me the best way to go.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
the only thing i like about jailbreak is the fact that you can put a background on the menu display rather than having it all black

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
And change all the icons. You basically have complete control of your phone rather than just getting apps that Apple approves of...such as flashlight

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Jailbreaking was good and all for firmware 1.1.4 and gave users access to third party applications (games, productivity apps, hardware improvements), but i always found the worst part about jailbreaking was that using these "unauthorized" third party apps, my phone felt relatively unstable. Now that there is an app store, i've restored my phone and i'm more satisfied with a default phone. It doesn't even seem worthwhile to jailbreak yet considering most of the good stable jailbroken programs aren't available for 2.0 yet. The only real positive jailbreaking has for me now is the ability to customize your phone, but i grew tired of doing that and turned back towards Apples design anyway after a few months. Its really your preference, i like feeling the stability of authorized and approved applications

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
It's funny that everyone is saying App Store apps are more stable, but that's hardly the case. My NES emulator, for example, crashes far less than a LOT of the apps available on the app store.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
It's funny that everyone is saying App Store apps are more stable, but that's hardly the case. My NES emulator, for example, crashes far less than a LOT of the apps available on the app store.
I know, it's true. But it's temporary, rue new firmware should fix that issue.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Overall, I will take my chances that the apps in the App Store are more stable. I know there as some problems right now, but there is a new update on the horizon that I believe will fix most if not all of the problems.

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
And change all the icons. You basically have complete control of your phone rather than just getting apps that Apple approves of...such as flashlight
flashlight on AppStore stinks.....it's only half in brightness thus makes it unusable. I got the flishlight from Cydia and you know it works.