Jailbreaking to unjailbreaking

Jewcake

Aug 30, 2010
I'm currently running ios 4.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and am wanting to try jailbreaking out. If I decide I do not like it and update to the latest firmware will there be any traces of the jailbreak left, apps from cydia etc.

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
No traces, I jailbroke my 3GS and had to get a replacement, I restored it in iTunes and they had no idea.
When I brought it back to the store they connected it to a computer to do "diagnostics" and there was no trace (or else the warranty is void) .

iiPaDFooT

Bronze
Aug 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
www.twitter.com
you lose the apps. but if you purchase any apps through Cydia, it WILL remember that. you set up an account before you buy any that way you won't have to pay for those apps a second time.

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

sickblktahoe

Bronze
Sep 1, 2010
You loose all your cydia apps and everything from the jailbreak. If you restore or update to new firmware your phone will not have any traces of the jailbreak.

Rhombus

May 14, 2010
If you restore from a backup when you update, there will be minor traces like used up space in the "Other" column, but nobody besides you would notice that.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
You loose all your cydia apps and everything from the jailbreak. If you restore or update to new firmware your phone will not have any traces of the jailbreak.
not exactly true. I just updated to 4.1 and restored from a backup of the day before. After the update I still had different words for my carrier and banner (time) and I still had a blank icon from the iBlank app from cydia. I had to update again and set up as a new phone and start all over again.

Rhombus

May 14, 2010
not exactly true. I just updated to 4.1 and restored from a backup of the day before. After the update I still had different words for my carrier and banner (time) and I still had a blank icon from the iBlank app from cydia. I had to update again and set up as a new phone and start all over again.
Just so other people know, but the reason this is is because when editing the carrier with MIM or anything, you're editing files that get backed up in a restore. For example, you back up your AT&T, Orange, O2, T-Mobile etc settings, which include carrier info like what the carrier says. Same applies with the banner since it's within the same district of distinction.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Just so other people know, but the reason this is is because when editing the carrier with MIM or anything, you're editing files that get backed up in a restore. For example, you back up your AT&T, Orange, O2, T-Mobile etc settings, which include carrier info like what the carrier says. Same applies with the banner since it's within the same district of distinction.
All I know is I was pretty irritated!

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
Yes, that happened with my iPad also.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you're looking to leave no trace, definitely restore as a new phone. I've been jailbroken, restored with my backup, then rejailboken and checked out everything that was left on board, before re-installing everything. The amount of logs, plists, and the like was quite surprising.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I restored from a backup that was created while jailbroken a couple days ago and it's fine. You just need to be sure to remove your carrier logo, blank icons and themes and then do a final iTunes backup with all that stuff off right before the restore.

saige1r

Bronze
Mar 12, 2010
Just FYI, the carrier logo can modified from an unjailbroken iPhone.

http://www.icopybot.com/blog/change-iphone-carrier-name-and-time-string-without-jailbreak.htm

So technically, having a different carrier logo is NOT "proof" per se, of having been jailbroken.

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Yes, there will be lots of little traces of it left over. If you don't want your jailbreak anymore, just restore to the latest firmware (without restoring from a backup).