jailbreaking vs unlocking

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Hi guys, just have a quick question, did a little bit of searching but did did not get the exact answer i wanted.

I have a 2g iPhone and I have it jailbroken.

How do i unlock the phone, or is it already unlocked? When it was being restored with the custom restore software the phone went through a baseband set up.
And also, if anyone knows,
what is a list of carriers that use sim cards?

Thanks,
Radis

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
Hi guys, just have a quick question, did a little bit of searching but did did not get the exact answer i wanted.

I have a 2g iPhone and I have it jailbroken.

How do i unlock the phone, or is it already unlocked? When it was being restored with the custom restore software the phone went through a baseband set up.
And also, if anyone knows,
what is a list of carriers that use sim cards?

Thanks,
Radis
Assuming you've used PwnageTool... If you chose to unlock the iPhone or to "do it all" during the pwn operation then it'll be unlocked now after restoring with the custom ipsw. If in doubt, pwn your iPhone again and make sure you choose to jailbreak and unlock - do the works! - in the options during the process.

As for sims... as I understand it, ALL carriers use sim cards because that's the way mobile phones function. But many carriers (particularly in USA) hide the sim from the user within the phone they sell you. In the rest of the world you can get a sim from any carrier on a pay-as-you-go (pre-paid) scheme or often you can even use the sim from a contract phone and place it into your iPhone. If you're in USA it seems that T-Mobile is the one to get a pre-paid sim from. Unfortunately the contract phones will normally not have a removable sim card.
Check it out - ask your carrier if you can buy a sim or exchange it from your existing phone.

I use my 2G iPhone (jb'd and unlokced 2.2.1) all over the world and have absolutely no problems with buying a sim in each country and just putting it into the iPhone and it works without fail. You'll normally not get services such as Edge (or 3G for 3G iPhones) but for me that's not important as I have my iPhone for other functions that are vital to me.

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
BTW, I guess the simplest test of whether or not your iPhone is unlocked is to insert a different sim (from a carrier that has proper service in your area) - if it doesn't connect to the sim carrier's service then I guess it's not unlocked.

Mar 11, 2009
You'll normally not get services such as Edge (or 3G for 3G iPhones)
so whats the point of doing a jailbreak if u cant get the speed of 3g on a 3g phone?

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
so whats the point of doing a jailbreak if u cant get the speed of 3g on a 3g phone?
1. Jailbreaking lets you add apps and functionality to the iPhone whereas unlocking lets you use it with carriers throughout the world other than those designated by Apple.
2. I don't have a3G iPhone, only a 2G, because - I know you might not understand this but...- I don't need or use that feature. If I need the features that are available through 3G I use wifi as and when it's available. I use my iPhone for a zillion other uses for which it is absolutely brilliant and almost infallible.

Upshot - I don't actually care about the EDGE/3G functionality. If I ever do then I might look at it differently. In the meantime, I'm totally satisfied being able to use a brilliant phone with other apps and functions, anywhere in the world. That's what the jb'ed, unlocked, prepaid combo gives me. There are countries that offer the the availability of EDGE on my phone (and maybe 3G on a 3G) - such as most Asian countries, Australia, and some UK & European carriers - but it's just not of much interest to me. The iPhone is a much more versatile, functional and useful instrument than just that.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Jailbreaking has no effect on 3G. He meant that 3G is not available in certain parts of the world. 3G coverage in the US is limited to large cites as well. Meaning you can buy a 3G phone, but if you live in an area without 3G coverage, you are going to default to edge.

Mar 11, 2009
I must have done something wrong then. I'll try it again but if I still don't have Internet connectivity I guess I'll pass on jailbreaking for now, I really would like to change a few things on the phone that appairently only jailbreaking will let me do... O well, thanks for the input guys