Jailbreaking, what is the risk?

Troh

Dec 13, 2008
Hello all :)

I am very tempted to jailbreak my iPhone. Everyone says it is so great and that i should do it, but i am scared. I do not know what downsides it has. What do I risk by jailbreaking my iPhone? And can i reverse it 100%?

Thank you for all answers! Merry xmas ;)

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Hello all :)

I am very tempted to jailbreak my iPhone. Everyone says it is so great and that i should do it, but i am scared. I do not know what downsides it has. What do I risk by jailbreaking my iPhone? And can i reverse it 100%?

Thank you for all answers! Merry xmas ;)
The biggest risk a new addiction to your iPhone, with theming and 3rd party apps.

It is 100% reversible. Just connect your iPhone to your computer and "Restore"

If you have to take it into Apple for any repairs, MAKE SURE that you restore your phone, or else they will not help you, since it is "hacking."

Enjoy!

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
There is a HUGE risk. Don't do it unless...

You want to fall in love with your iPhone. :)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
or if you want your phone to look like this:

Seriously though, I have been doing this over a year now on both v1 and v2 and if I can do it and not brick my phone anyone can. Do it, I have yet to talk to anyone that has ruined there phone. Like stated above, even if you mess up you restore and if you want your phone covered under warranty like also stated above ALWAYS restore before you go to Apple store.

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
oh my gosh, Connie. That is the cutest theme.

Now I am seriously seriously tempted to jailbreak. I want to have a fun theme.

But, like the OP, I am scared too. Also what about this lag that I've read some jailbreaked phones seem to have?

So if a phone is jailbroken, you can still get apps from the iTunes App Store right?

eta: ha ha my son has just instructed me not to change my icons b/c then how can he find the game he wants to play?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Lots of people notice lag. I won't say everyone, but most people. Other than that, it's awesome.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
The lag isn't THAT bad. I only notice a little in opening up SMS and camera but it's not that bad not to jailbreak.
Oh and the themed icons usually don't change the game icons, they usually stay the same.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I agree with connie. The lag has decreased greatly since I have updated to 2.2 and jailbroke. It was worse with 2.1.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I jailbroke my 2.2 the day it was released and noticed the 3rd party apps seemed to slow down my phone, after a restore and a clean up of old themes etc i didn't need, i noticed a massive improvement!