Jailbreaking, Windows, Quickpwn, and Lag

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yes... another survey. Now I'm looking for folks who have jailbroken their 2.1 phones (V1 or 3G) on Windows (XP or Vista) using Quickpwn (either the old method or with the new version of Quickpwn)

What I'm trying to figure out is if the lag I'm experiencing is a result of pwning in general, or a result of the method I used. Basically, I want to know if it is worth my time to repwn with the new Quickpwn.

I'm having long boot times (about 60 seconds) and resprings (about 30 seconds), and general lagging with the settings menu, camera, SMS, and some apps. Strangely, the system apps seem most affected. It's not bad at all right after a reboot, but gets progressively worse through the day (whether I'm using my phone or not... I barely used it the other day, and it got quite laggy).

Normally I would automatically restore and repwn, but seeing as my wife is experiencing the exact same symptoms with her iPhone, I think there is something wrong with the Quickpwn method I used.

[deep breath] soooo.... you folks that used the "new" Quickpwn... are you laggin'?

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
I just did mine today for the first time on 2.1 using the new method i think. (the link that is in the jailbreaking how to thread). so far i haven't noticed any differences from before, it seems to be working fine. i haven't used it a lot so far so i don't know for sure yet though.

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I used quickpwn on sunday and noticed it was incredibly slow. I restored Monday but decided to give quickpwn another shot yesterday. Today I saw the same lag that I saw after the first time I JBed it. I decided to restore again and wait until there is a way to jailbreak it without slowing it down.

When it was jailbroken, everything went slow from opening apps to settings, SMS, camera, etc. Rebooting took forever and once it wouldn't even turn back on for about 5 minutes.

I used the new quickpwn on XP by the way.

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
my lag with 2.0.1 was horrible to say the least. 2.1 has been a huge improvement. Im not saying things are perfect but im much happier now.
I haven't noticed if certain apps lag more than others, I will keep an eye on it and report back.

Sep 23, 2008
Just so you all know - these guys at iPhoneunlockuk are charging for software which is FREE AND READILY AVAILABLE within 5 clicks on the internet.
iPhone enthusiasts and developers spend hours and hours developing unlocking/jailbreaking software, before kindly releasing it to the public for free!
These cowboys change the logo and pass it off as their own. Their entire website is a bluff - they also charge a fortune for a turbosim, which is readily available on ebay for £5.

Don't trust them! From personal experience, they lie and frequently change their location in London to avoid customer care issues when they screw you over!

Why should they be allowed to charge money for admirable work that others have done for free! Completely unethical if you ask me

See http://wikee.iphwn.org/ for the free software

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just so you all know - these guys at iPhoneunlockuk are charging for software which is FREE AND READILY AVAILABLE within 5 clicks on the internet.
I'm not sure to what you are referring, but it's definitely not the topic of this thread.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi Dave,

I was one of the 1st to unlock following your "Jailbreak on windows tonight" post. That left me with horrible lag. I restored and tried to Jb last night using winpwn, same lag. Im so annoyed. I have actually gone back to a jailed device now because the lag was driving me crazy!

Croucher

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Jailbroke last night using winpawn. So far lag is not an issue. However, I am noticing a bit of instability, nothing terrible though. Boot time after reset is much longer. Maybe a minute or so.

teambash

Bronze
Aug 20, 2008
ok I did the jb for windows tonight your old one. And my phone works great no lags at all. Have not tried the new jb yet with the new qukpwn might just do the old jb on a new phone

samy

Bronze
Sep 23, 2008
California
I jb on windows XP, I don't notice any lags. It is actually working great for me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Anyone else? Even Mac folks, I just need to know how many of us JB'ers are experiencing this.

It's pretty odd.... I've barely been using my phone this week because I've been mixing for long stretches at a time. While the standby battery has been quite impressive, I find after turning it on after a couple hours, it's just lagging horribly! I'm talking 10 seconds to open settings or text messages or really any stock app. I have to reboot it. The phone is perfectly fine after a reboot. But then, 6 hours later it's back. Very strange.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm on a Mac but I definitely notice more lag on my 3G than on my v1. I used ZiPhone for the v1 on 1.1.4 and used Pwnage Tool for my 2.0.2 3G. Boot times are around 40 seconds like I said in the other thread but I don't think my v1 times are any longer than 25 seconds.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
i have noticed an occasional system lag overall that can get reaaally bad at times, but it's not enough to warrant a rejailbreak.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think I figured it out. I uninstalled Bossprefs (which a lot of us likely use... But not everyone) and I think my lag is gone. So far so good today... I'll report back later.

But for now try it and see if it helps... Easy enough to reinstall.

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
I JB'd using the "old" way and everything seems fine.

If there is any lag, it's not noticeable, and certainly not enough for me to go through the whole process all over again.

As for Boss Prefs, I have my "Settings" tab docked in Boss Prefs and it seems to open fine from there without much lag at all.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Ok, I just finished JB'ing from iPhone using QuickPwn. Do I just close the QuickPwn window after the phone has boot up?

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Ok, I closed it, synced with iTunes again and now everything is peachy...now to get started downloading those third party apps :laugh2: