Jailbreaking worth it?

RylenolFlu

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Okay, so I'm considering the purchase of an iPhone and have noticed that there are quite a few sites that have some nifty app downloads like nativeiPhoneapps.com. Are these the 3rd party proggies that people jailbreak for or are they usable without jailbreaking the iPhone? In keeping with this, what is so special about the apps that you can use with a jailbroken phone?
Thanks.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Well i for one have jailbroken before but i only found it amusing for about 5 days and it froze the first one so i had to restore it...... but some people love it i just would rather not risk anything

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
I agree with chcorey. I just jailbroke mine for the first time and am having many problems. The SDK is coming out very oon and you will have plenty of apps to buy from iTunes. Just wait for that.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It's totally worth it. I have been stock and jailbroken, and I love my jailbroken phone.
When the SDK is released sometime next week, there will hopefully be a few apps already available, but the release of the SDK doesn't mean that Apps will magically appear. It means the coding is open to developers to start working on software. There have been a couple developers out there that have stated that they have already received a copy and are working on apps, but they are still going to have to be approved by Apple.
I figure that there will be a good group of apps by the 15th of March, but only a very small handful on the release date - if any at all.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
definitely, jailbreaking is worth it... for me, at least..

I don't know what I would do without Books and iSolitaire.

definitely - jailbreak.

[post 497]

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
for what my two sense is worth I think the jailbreak is totally worth it if u have the time.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Presently, my phone is jailbroken. I enjoy it; having a wallpaper background, custom icons, etc., is great.If you asked this question a month ago, I would definitely say yes, do it.

However, next week marks the release of the SDK, Software Development Kit, which will enable official third-party applications on our iPhones. Because of this, I say no, don't do it. I'll be Restoring this time next week, getting ready for the SDK.

Each to his won, though. If the SDK doesn't mean much to you, go ahead.

- John

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
if Apple suplies us with sb then I'm shurr we will see the theme we see now plus many many more.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Presently, my phone is jailbroken. I enjoy it; having a wallpaper background, custom icons, etc., is great.If you asked this question a month ago, I would definitely say yes, do it.

However, next week marks the release of the SDK, Software Development Kit, which will enable official third-party applications on our iPhones. Because of this, I say no, don't do it. I'll be Restoring this time next week, getting ready for the SDK.

Each to his won, though. If the SDK doesn't mean much to you, go ahead.

- John
JOhn,
Do you really think apps are going to be offered so quickly? I mean I know that a couple devs reportedly have already received the SDK and have been working with it, but I doubt there would be more than a small handful of apps available. Personally I'll be waiting till mid or late March.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
JOhn,
Do you really think apps are going to be offered so quickly? I mean I know that a couple devs reportedly have already received the SDK and have been working with it, but I doubt there would be more than a small handful of apps available. Personally I'll be waiting till mid or late March.

i agree, i just don't see how even if we do get the 1.1.4 and the sdk at the end of the month, how on earth it could be up and going with as many usefull and creative apps as the jb has. i think if you do have a jb iPhone that youll probably not see much to pick from for the first week or two at least.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Are those really "apps", or just links to apps on the web?

basically links to apps. i had a 1.1.3 stock for a while and u could basically just add these links to your springboard so u could just push the button instead of pulling up the sites in safari. thats basically what the 1.1.3 is all about. that and being able to move the button or icons around in order.