Jailbreakme vs. redsn0w for iPhone: Which is Better?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I learned from another avenue about Jailbreakme, but I use redsn0w. I see that JBM is done without a computer, but you have to also install PDF patcher. I'd rather do it with my Mac and redsn0w.

Please give me your opinions? And, if this has been discussed before, I'm sorry, as I've been out of the loop lately, plus didn't sleep much last night due to a sick family member.

Thanks.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
My first jailbreak experience was with my iPhone 4 on 4.0.1 and Jailbreakme.com. Some months ago I updated to 4.2.1 and jailbroke using redsn0w. Two days ago I updated to 4.3.3 specifically to use Jailbreakme.com again. I was having trouble because of the server load and ended up using redsn0w again after all. Yesterday I told a guy at work about the new jb. Having just restored to stock for one reason or another, he jailbroke his iPhone 4 right there on the spot in under a minute and started reloading his packages. The PDF patcher 2 is to close the security breach used to insert the jailbreak. While tools like redsn0w and limera1n are fairly simple, they require putting your device into DFU mode. With Jailbreakme 3.0 it's as easy as installing a free app from the App Store. Also, I noticed my friends Jailbreakme installed Cydia 1.1.2 while my reds0w still installed 1.1.1.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
JBme.com is buggy. BiteSMS will crash and put your phone into a boot loop when you attempt to send an SMS.

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Well I don't use biteSMS...So I find the Jaibreaks to be equal. I went from old JB's to 4.3.3 and JBme.com .

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
They both work.

Who cares which is better :p

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Anybody know if it you can unlock yet after using Jailbreakme ? My neighbor has a 3GS old boot and is still on 4.0.1

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Delete them both and reinstall one at a time and you'll know which one it was. It happened to me and I figured out which program was screwing up everything so now I live without it.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Nah. iTunes 10.5 made it a pain to sync because my iPad isn't on a beta. I'll just wait.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Delete them both and reinstall one at a time and you'll know which one it was. It happened to me and I figured out which program was screwing up everything so now I live without it.
You may not have to live without it. Which JB method did you use? I find redsn0w more stable and I haven't ran into any issues yet.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I deleted about 5 apps and my phone was working great. One at a time I reinstalled my deleted apps until I found out which one was making my phone so unstable. You never know it could be an app that had a recent update.

All my deleted apps were installed again except Lock Calendar 2.0.3 and my iPhone is working as smooth as a factory phone. I'm not saying that Lock Calendar is not a good app or doesn't work but apparently it doesn't want to work when combined with some other app I have on my particular phone.

All is back to being great and sometimes we might be quick to blame the version (4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc.) or the JB product (sn0wbreeze, pwnage tool, etc.) when sometimes it's just an app that doesn't play nice with other installed apps. In my case the ipod app would start and stop mid-song or it would lock up and I'd have to hard reset it.

gibby71

Silver
Jan 8, 2008
in a galaxy far far away...
The PDF patcher should be put on no matter what version of jailbreak you use. It closes the hole that the jailbreakme site uses. Any iPhone jailbreaked or not jailbreak is vulnerable without the patch. This is why we will see an update (4.3.4) soon from Apple to patch non-jailbroken iPhones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
I used redsn0w for my iPhone 4 and jailbreakme for my iPad2 I installed the PDF patch on both idevices

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Mine is on Windows 7 too and it takes forever to sync. I did a sync and then without changing anything did a sync again to time it. It took 37 seconds on Step 1 preparing to sync. It took a total of 1 minute and 18 seconds to do the complete sync with nothing changed!