Jailbroke/Unlocked

Jan 25, 2008
Hiya Guys

Before you go any further i apoligise in advance for this seemingly noob question!

I have done a search but found only a few answers to the questions i have.

I have had a standard iPhone now since new but am thinking about customising it as i want to play around a bit rather than waiting until june for the legal apps and update but got a few questions first.

Whats jailbreaking and whats unlocking?
Is it completely reversable?
Will it void my warranty?
What can i expect to beable to do?

Once the new update in june comes out can i go back to standard and update as i previously had done?

Will all the features still work or are there certain glitches?

What programmes do i use to do this all?

Sorry again for the typical noob question guys!

Dom

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Hiya Guys

Before you go any further i apoligise in advance for this seemingly noob question!

I have done a search but found only a few answers to the questions i have.

I have had a standard iPhone now since new but am thinking about customising it as i want to play around a bit rather than waiting until june for the legal apps and update but got a few questions first.

Whats jailbreaking and whats unlocking?
Is it completely reversable?
Will it void my warranty?
What can i expect to beable to do?

Once the new update in june comes out can i go back to standard and update as i previously had done?

Will all the features still work or are there certain glitches?

What programmes do i use to do this all?

Sorry again for the typical noob question guys!

Dom
Jailbreaking will allow you to add applications, and themes to the phone

Unlocking will allow you to get carrier other than ATT

You can always restore, the warranty will not be affected

When the SDK stuff come out, you can restore

There are several jailbreak methods out ther, I would recommend iJailBreak

Good luck

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
Jailbreaking adds third party apps to the phone threw installer
While unlocking allows you to use other carriers.
It does void your warranty if you bring it to Apple jailbroken/unlocked.
If you restore it first you will probably have no problem with your warranty
I would recommend ZiPhone because it takes about 2 minutes to completely jailbreak your iPhone.
Some apps don't work when you jailbreak, but if you look on here somewhere theres always a work around!
And always remember if you want to update your software, like when 2.0 comes out you MUST restore first or theres a chance that you can brick your iPhone.

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
If he doesn't restore theres a chance that his phone can brick, but if he restores first hes fine.

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
Do you mean why would his phone brick if he didn't restore?
Because Apple doesn't want people to jailbreak so they try to stop it.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
yeah I also recommend ziPhone haven't had any problems with it. As for applications not working that usually has more to do with the firmware than which method you jailbroke by. For example an app only works for 1.1.3 but you have 1.1.4. Still if that happens you can search the forums for a thread on that app and see if people have discussed a way to still get it (which happens a lot and you can just follow the instructions in that thread). Just a reminder...sync all the stuff on your phone to your computer...contacts, mail accounts, photos, calendar appointments. I'm not just talking about the iPhone back ups on iTunes back your stuff up in apps like address book etc...this way if you restore you make sure you have your essential info.

Also important to note, if you want to jailbreak with 1.1.4, I'd restore first and then when given the option I'd choose new partnership (not restore from backup). Sometimes there can be glitches with ziPhone if you do nor create this new partnership, but I created a new partnership and I haven't had a single problem. Then after I created the partnership I resybced my contacts and photos from address book and iPhoto and the Dow loaded the latest version of ziPhone from ziPhone.org and jail role the phone. If you have any questions let me know.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I was unaware that an iPhone could actually be bricked? And this happens if u don't restore from a jb iPhone before u upgrade firware? I guess my real question is why won't a hard reset work?
Turn phone off
hold home and power button and so on

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I was unaware that an iPhone could actually be bricked? And this happens if u don't restore from a jb iPhone before u upgrade firware? I guess my real question is why won't a hard reset work?
Turn phone off
hold home and power button and so on
as far as bricking when upgrading. Its not that if your jailbroken and you upgrade your phone is going to brick its just a precaution restoring beforehand because of the possibility that when you upgrade Apple has included something in the upgrade that looks to detect I
if your jailbroken. I'm not sure of the history of this. I forget if in a past update they did this or if it was just a warning always put out by the dev team but your safest restoring your phone before upgrading when jailbroken

Also I don't know too much about what happens when your phone is bricked (I don't wanna ever experience that) but going and doing a reset is not going to work not even a restore. I think a bricked phone is rendered useless and that's why you cant just hard reset. That's what Ive gathered I think.