Jailbroken iPhone 3G 2.1 using 3G when wi-fi available

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi Guys -

any ideas why this would be happening? im sat in my house with wi-fi but the wi-fi icon shows for a second then displays 3g? Is it still using wi-fi in the background and just displaying 3g or is this a bug?

Any one having the same problem?

Thanks

Adam

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Hi Guys -

any ideas why this would be happening? im sat in my house with wi-fi but the wi-fi icon shows for a second then displays 3g? Is it still using wi-fi in the background and just displaying 3g or is this a bug?

Any one having the same problem?

Thanks

Adam
I've had similar observations. When using EDGE with WiFi, the WiFi indicator replaces the E and stays on. With 3G, only the 3G symbol shows. My guess is that this is by design since you can make/receive calls on 3G, while using WiFi. You can also access 3G data while WiFi is on - I do this with NetShare.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
thanks thats great, so basically, it still "uses" my wireless connection, but the 3g displayed shows i am hooked up on that to?

I must have been paranoid thinking my browser was running slow!

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I think it depends on what you are doing with the phone. If I am on the main screen it will show 3G but once I open up Safari it will start to use wi-fi. The same with the app store too.