Jailbroken iPhone refuses to charge?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

felbie

May 12, 2008
I jailbroke my 1.1.4 iPhone using ZiPhone and the phone works perfectly, except for the fact that it will no longer charge with my car charger, or with my iPhone dock, it doesn't even recognize it as a power source, it still plays the music though. any help is GREATLY appreciated

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, my first recommendation would be to try one more source to charge the phone because it could be the particular power source. If that doesn't work, I would try a restore to factory settings (restore as a new phone, not restore from backup). Make sure you have all your contacts and pics saved and whatnot, so you don't lose anything. If that doesn't work then it might be the dock connections in your phone. They might be bent from a drop or perhaps from being disconnected roughly from a charger.

felbie

May 12, 2008
Ive tried multiple sources, it charges with USB as well as with the wall charger. Ive tried another iPhone on my dock and it charges, my iPhone on the dock at the Apple store as well as mine, will not charge. I haven't dropped it or roughly disconnected so Im going to try the full restore.

My only question is, if i restore as a new phone I lose my contacts, if its synced up to my address book, can I then resync the contacts after?

felbie

May 12, 2008
As long as your contacts are on your computer within Outlook or Address Book then you can sync them back to the phone with no problem.
Restored, the phone still wont charge, I guess it would have to be a big coincidence if the phone happened to stop charging due to a hardware error at almost the same exact time it was jailbroken, who knows

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well if you restored as a new iPhone, then the traces of a Jailbreak should MOSTLY be gone from the phone and the techs at Apple won't likely be able to tell that you Jailbroke. I would say take the phone to Apple and they should swap it out for you under warranty.