Jailbroken phone shows 195MB of Other, is this normal?

scholls22

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
I was having trouble with my jailbroken 3G so i did a restore on the phone. I restored to a new phone and had 195MB of "other"....I then did a complete reset of the phone thinking that would wipe it clean. It was still there....Is this just part of the 3.0 OS? Im syincing right now and its installing the apps and the "other" file size is growing but its just installing apps.

any ideas?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I was having trouble with my jailbroken 3G so i did a restore on the phone. I restored to a new phone and had 195MB of "other"....I then did a complete reset of the phone thinking that would wipe it clean. It was still there....Is this just part of the 3.0 OS? Im syincing right now and its installing the apps and the "other" file size is growing but its just installing apps.

any ideas?
just like Napo- said it is normal for you to have that amnt of "other" MB...i'm not a guru but it has something to do with phone platform itself...but go to settings>safari>clear cookies-clear cache...and if you have email accnts set up...empty out your trash...maybe that will help

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
But do keep your eye on it...if it really spikes, you may end up with a lot of space being used up by the "other" category. The more stuff you add the bigger it will get, but a huge spike from one sync to another...you will need to restore to fix it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

any ideas?
That's where the OS is stored. A few hundred MB there is completely normal. Notes, SMS, Settings, and a few other things are stored there as well.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
If your using Microsoft outlooks then all those contact plus their contact pictures are also part of that other.

ashwini

Bronze
Jun 2, 2009
India
www.ashwini.co.in
That's where the OS is stored. A few hundred MB there is completely normal. Notes, SMS, Settings, and a few other things are stored there as well.
I don't think so. The OS is not the others. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the OS have a different partition, one that iTunes doesn't show?

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
I don't think so. The OS is not the others. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the OS have a different partition, one that iTunes doesn't show?

I was going to point that out, however, I can't seem to find the other partition, and I set up my phone as new and 255M was still being used by "something".