Jailbroken Pros & Cons

samoan

Aug 26, 2008
Hello All,
would someone list the pros and cons of being jailbroken. I have yet to understand this (new to the iPhone and this forum--but I have taken a liken to this place). Please note the facts about updates and how being jailbroke will not allow updates from iTunes - or can I still update with iTunes. Man I don't know:sick:...HELP

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
you can customize just about everything. 1 for pro

samoan

Aug 26, 2008
you have to rejailbrake each time Apple offers an update. that's your one con.....
thats not so bad, unless the process of jailbreak is like prison break on fox. oh yeah and as long as i don't lose my music, pics, contacts..etc.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Not quite the only con. A much much bigger con is that you usually have to set up the iPhone as new and you lose your backups (notes, app information & settings, email settings, bookmarks, map bookmarks, contacts, etc.) Some you can recover, like contacts and bookmarks if you sync properly before you jailbreak, but you still lose app information and notes.

Sure, if you go from jailbroken 2.0.1 phone to jsilbroken 2.1 phone you can SSH to back up/restore the data manually but if you are going from 2.0.1 non-jailbroken then you lose everything.

samoan

Aug 26, 2008
interestn, my biggest reason of wanting to jailbreak is the change of my backdrop behind the icons - from black to a design. this makes me wonder how often in the near future we can expect more updates from Apple>

thanks for your feedback

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
interestn, my biggest reason of wanting to jailbreak is the change of my backdrop behind the icons - from black to a design. this makes me wonder how often in the near future we can expect more updates from Apple>

thanks for your feedback
Apple will never officially release anything to change the back drop of your phone, its so simple that if they wanted to they would have done already, So the only way to do it is to jailbreak and as a jailbroken pro, I really haven't found any cons in jailbreaking. I have never lost contacts or anything come to think of it

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
I had my 2G jailbroken. No cons at all. I want to jailbreak my 3G, but for some reason have yet to do it. I don't know whats holding me back. So, what apps are out there now, that are particularly new that would convince someone to jailbreak?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Dude, I've jailbroken since the first time it was possible over a year ago. Yes, if you update, you have to rejailbrake....so what? Like reformatting the hard drive of a computer, it is healthy for the system. I enjoy tinkering with the phone. If you just want a phone and don't want to modify it or tinker around with it, get an LG. If not, then jailbrake and enjoy learning how to "personalize" youir device!

Audiocave

Sep 15, 2008
I have to say, as a PC developer...

I am *very* hesitant to use jailbroken iPhone apps. VERY hesitant... let me list why.

1. It's just too easy to grab and transmit data from the iPhone.
2. It doesn't give you any real indication when it's doing that.
3. You can't always be sure who is writing the apps and why.

All things considered, I *hope* Apple is at least testing the App Store apps for data security (not transmitting personal data in the background). So whom exactly is doing that with jailbroken apps? Nobody.

Example: I'm a data theif in Uganda or Russia. I write a nice useful iPhone app. Thousands download it. Down in my code is a date-based *trigger* to do the "nasty stuff" after a certain date, which hides itself from immediate network monitoring etc... say June 6, 2009 my program scans (via wifi) your computer for - whatever - and sends it to me via email in the background without you ever knowing... everytime you use it.

Or places a trojan on your real system via wifi.

No jailbroken apps for me... sorry. I have to trust that Apple is checking the apps I buy from their store. With Jailbreak apps from all over the world, you have no way of knowing what you may install.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

I am *very* hesitant to use jailbroken iPhone apps. VERY hesitant... let me list why.

All things considered, I *hope* Apple is at least testing the App Store apps for data security (not transmitting personal data in the background). So whom exactly is doing that with jailbroken apps? Nobody.

Example: I'm a data theif in Uganda or Russia. I write a nice useful iPhone app. Thousands download it. Down in my code is a date-based *trigger* to do the "nasty stuff" after a certain date, which hides itself from immediate network monitoring etc... say June 6, 2009 my program scans (via wifi) your computer for - whatever - and sends it to me via email in the background without you ever knowing... everytime you use it.

No jailbroken apps for me... sorry. I have to trust that Apple is checking the apps I buy from their store. With Jailbreak apps from all over the world, you have no way of knowing what you may install.
yes you're right. I should just live in a cave.

Audiocave

Sep 15, 2008
?

You do what you like. I listed a possible con.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA

I am a PC guy myself, but you could turn this around on you.

How do you know this site isn't doing anything? How do you know they don't copy your password over before they hash it in the DB? Any site could be doing this.

Audiocave

Sep 15, 2008
I am a PC guy myself, but you could turn this around on you.

How do you know this site isn't doing anything? How do you know they don't copy your password over before they hash it in the DB? Any site could be doing this.
Why are you guys so sensitive? The thread asked for "Pros and Cons". I listed a possible con.

When I install things on my PC's my anti-virus apps scan them first to try to detect potential threats. I also have Internet protection on all of my PC's, reasonable measures to protect myself. We're not talking Internet sites, we're talking executable applications.

Now you tell me... exactly what does the iPhone have to do any of that? Anti-virus? What? Nothing that I can see. It will execute any code you install on it and try to do whatever the developer tells it to do.

Relax guys... I just entered a *possible* con. No big deal. It's not personal and it doesn't require a debate. Most devs are honest. Some are not.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Why are you guys so sensitive? The thread asked for "Pros and Cons". I listed a possible con.

When I install things on my PC's my anti-virus apps scan them first to try to detect potential threats. I also have Internet protection on all of my PC's, reasonable measures to protect myself. We're not talking Internet sites, we're talking executable applications.

Now you tell me... exactly what does the iPhone have to do any of that? Anti-virus? What? Nothing that I can see. It will execute any code you install on it and try to do whatever the developer tells it to do.

Relax guys... I just entered a *possible* con. No big deal. It's not personal and it doesn't require a debate.
I take it your not a programmar? As you said this thread isn't about that so I won't go into mor details.

Here is a nice Pro:

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/dock-3-0-demonstration/11043000/

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Not on the iPhone no... on the PC yes. Thanks for the link.
Then you know that you could possibly save a password in clear-text before it gets hashed on the sever. There is no way your apps would know what the actual code is diong.

The Dock feature pretty much sold me on jailbreaking my phone.

Audiocave

Sep 15, 2008
Then you know that you could possibly save a password in clear-text before it gets hashed on the sever. There is no way your apps would know what the actual code is diong.

The Dock feature pretty much sold me on jailbreaking my phone.
Yes I know that. Again, you're talking internet passwords. I don't worry about my bank's website stealing my SSN, they already have it. I don't worry about this site stealing my password to this site, who cares? It won't work anywhere else but here.

I considered jailbreaking but I'm gonna wait awhile that's all I'm saying. For *me* (ymmv and does) it's an unnaceppatable risk right now.

Ok? Personal choice. Not an indictment of your choice. Ok?

Back on topic... what's the dock thing you talk about?