Japanese don't like the iPhone!

etdashou

Bronze
Jan 22, 2009
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/02/why-the-iphone.html

The offer it for free, because it doesn't sell really well.
Why?
- No GPS
- No good camera
- No video
- No MMS
- Too costly for the monthly fee (of 60$ +)
- etc..

I wonder if that kind of news (unable to break an important market - Japan) will force Apple to do those changes for his next iPhone?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
funny, i was just reading this... yeah, so true. and im actually glad they feel this way. it might give Apple a reason to improve on the device.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/02/why-the-iphone.html

The offer it for free, because it doesn't sell really well.
Why?
- No GPS
- No good camera
- No video
- No MMS
- Too costly for the monthly fee (of 60$ +)
- etc..

I wonder if that kind of news (unable to break an important market - Japan) will force Apple to do those changes for his next iPhone?
i agree with all points, but the iPhone 3g does offer GPS.

gea

Jan 15, 2009
I'm japanese and I love mine. Love it from day 1. In my opinion the best phone man made. Suits me really well

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm japanese and I love mine. Love it from day 1. In my opinion the best phone man made. Suits me really well
that's refreshing to hear.

However if I was in Japan, with the phones that they have over there, I'd be more broke than I already am.

As much as I love the iPhone, it usually only lasts me a couple months then I get bored and start playing with Nokias, BlackBerry's and most recently the SE Xperia.

Hopefully Apple will bring the iPhone up to par with some of those other phones spec wise. It is the UI that is the biggest selling point of the iPhone. Nothing out there can match that. Now if they can update the features and specs of the phone, I don't think a phone out there could touch it.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
do you actually live in japan, or are you just Japanese? i have to ask because there is a big difference...

dt808

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
lol, it doesn't matter if you are Japanese.. I'm Japanese as well and I still like the iPhone, but it surely is lacking in several departments.. and the monthly bill is a bit pricey.

The title should be.. "people in Japan don't like the iPhone." They have many more options and better technologies.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I saw this earlier and thought it was pretty funny. Maybe Apple will take the hints from the declining sales. Though, I have a feeling they would only offer more things to those abroad (ie, MMS in Sweden).

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
iPhone 3G 3G (lol 3rd generation speeds, 3rd generation model)
needs

1. a way better camera!
2. NEW DESIGN! (no more of the same looking design!)
2. video!
3. mms!
4. video sharing!
5. video conference
and of course lower bill!

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
I think it's great that a high tech nation has stepped up and took a stand against buying the iPhone because of it's faults, cause really either way it's going to sell pretty well in north America, hopeffully this will open there greedy eyes to giving us some of the features that we've all been waiting

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't see Apple doing much to cater to one market that, quite honestly, they'll never have a decent share in.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
It dosent sell well over there.

The japanese phone market is VERY different than it is in the US or Europe.
Phones over there cater to many of the young, who take pictures, text, and have a generally cheap monthly fee...not to mention phones are a fashion statement not a feature statement. Then you have the "smart" phones that cater to the businesss ppl etc.

If anything, many phone over there sell based on how fashionable they look. In the US the iPhone is an icon, however to them the Nokia fashion series phones or Sharp Fashion series phones are whats iconic.

There are 3 reasons why the iPhone wont/doesn't do well over there.
No pic msging.
No good camera
Expensive to maintain.

Also the Japanese market is like less than 3% so just because they don't like it dosent mean Apple is going "back to the drawing board"

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
maybe since sales arent too good for Apple standards over there
they might revamp it drastically next time

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Actually Apple got what they wanted. The market is very competitive over there, so they decided to go for a paltry 1% of market and they got it.