Jawbone charger problem

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
I just got my second Jawbone today. I have a question about the charger. I charged the headset so that it glows white (fully charged). However, the connector pin area of the charger seems loose even when connected. When I just slightly move it, the white charged light on the Jawbone either goes out or turns red. It takes about 5 minutes before it turns white again. Is this normal or is it possibly defective?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
possibly defective. but, to be sure, are you pressing the charger connector down fully onto the headset? mine clicks in quite firmly, and it can actually be a bit difficult to remove the headset from it. otherwise, you might want to try to exchange it.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
I'm pressing it on pretty firmly though there is no click. But there is a lot of play, as the charger cap can be wiggled quite a bit. Is it supposed to fit very snugly on the end of the headset?

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
mine isn't all that tight either, one thing I have noticed that is if its fully charged, whether using the charging block it came with or a computer usb port, is that if unplugged even if you immediately reconnect the charging cord it will go red and restart charging until it completes the minimum cycle and then it will turn white again.
Hope that helps.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
Yeah that is helpful to know. Mine goes from white (fully charged) to red (charging) even if I move it ever so slightly, without even unplugging it. Sometimes the light goes out completely.

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
if the light goes out all together thats not so good, that means its not connected at all.......

cman6453

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I just got my second Jawbone today. I have a question about the charger. I charged the headset so that it glows white (fully charged). However, the connector pin area of the charger seems loose even when connected. When I just slightly move it, the white charged light on the Jawbone either goes out or turns red. It takes about 5 minutes before it turns white again. Is this normal or is it possibly defective?
I had this problem also. I returned the unit to Apple and wrote a message to Aliph. Where did you get your unit from? I returned my red one to the South Coast Apple store. Maybe it's the one you got? That'd be ironic. In my message to Aliph, I expressed disappointment and asked why they didn't design the charger to be a mini-usb slot (a more industry standard design). Here's the whole email I got in response:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the difficulties you’ve been experiencing.

It sounds as though you may have a damaged charger cable. Because of the wide range of usage patterns, we do not cover the charger under the warranty plan. However, as a courtesy to you, we would like to send you a complimentary one-time replacement. In return, we ask that you first send us your charger cable so that we can review the problem. Once we receive your package, we will immediately send you a replacement. Please be sure to include your name and address, as well as your email address to:

Aliph
Attn: exchanges
150 Executive Park Blvd Ste 4550
San Francisco, CA 94134

Please do NOT send in your Jawbone. These are our corporate offices and we do not have the capability of testing your jawbone here. We will send the Jawbone back via USPS uninsured and are not responsible for any loss or damage.
I ended up getting a new one, in the color I want (black), and the charging connector is working excellent. I still have an issue with the charging connection because a mini-USB connection would be a more secure connection. I also just realized that the loose charger connection on the headset is useless. That piece is going to get lost for sure. My last problem is the size but that's really not a big deal for me.

Anyway, return you headset and get a new one. The connection should be secure and shouldn't pop out.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
Cman, that is the same email I got from Aliph also. Obviously it's a standard response. I called Aliph customer service and the guy didn't sound like he was very knowledgeable though he recommended returning it because it was possible the headset itself was defective. I got my headset from the Apple online store. The first time they sent me a red one (even though the packing slip clearly said silver). It's going back tomorrow and hopefully I will have a working one soon.

tangfj

Aug 31, 2007
Cman, that is the same email I got from Aliph also. Obviously it's a standard response. I called Aliph customer service and the guy didn't sound like he was very knowledgeable though he recommended returning it because it was possible the headset itself was defective. I got my headset from the Apple online store. The first time they sent me a red one (even though the packing slip clearly said silver). It's going back tomorrow and hopefully I will have a working one soon.
I'm on my second jawbone now. At first the charger worked fine but after a while, either the charger connector or the jawbone itself started to lose connection. The same thing happened with the first jawbone I owned. Personally I think it's a design flaw with the charger connector where after lots of use it will eventually start to lose connection with the jawbone when you try to plug it in. I usually have to fiddle with it for a while before I can get it to start charging. Once I get it in the charge mode I just know not to move it at all for fear of losing connection and having to start all over again. Hope somebody from Aliph is looking at these boards! :)

tangfj

Aug 31, 2007
Hello everyone, I know this is an old thread but I wanted to update it just in case others are having the same issue that I did. Basically my charger/jawbone was having problems making a connection and I'd have to spend a few minutes each time connecting it to make sure that it actually started charging. After I got it to connect I just knew not to touch it for fear of it losing connection again.

So after getting my second jawbone replacement everything worked well for a few months and again the same problem started happening. After contacting Jawbone they decided to try sending me a replacement USB cable thinking that the cable is the problem. After I received the cable, the connection and charging started working again! So the problem is that over time I think the USB cable starts to wear down and eventually it will become very hard to establish a charging connection. A new USB charging cable is all it takes to get it back and working. The question now is whether or not Jawbone will continue to provide new USB cables the next time this happens or if they plan on updating their design at all so the problem doesn't persist.

On a side note, while I was waiting to get this resolved with Jawbone (3-4 weeks I'd guess), I decided to just get a Blueant Z9. I must say that the Z9 is much better in terms of the charger. The way the Z9 connects to the charger is much more fool-proof and it looks like it will last much longer than the jawbone charger cable. The Z9 also includes a charger as well as an extra USB cable to charge off of your PC. In terms of sound quality, I'd put the sound quality of the Z9 right below the jawbone. The only big difference between the 2 is that the jawbone seemed to block out ambient noise better than the Z9. I've had people complain to me about loud air conditioners/etc in the background on the Z9 whereas I didn't have the same complaints while using the jawbone. The Z9, though, is a very good BT headset and suits my everyday needs out of a headset.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
After you charge, do you put the black rubber boot back on the jawbone to cover the exposed pins. Could be the natural oils of the hair could do something to the contacts over time.

tangfj

Aug 31, 2007
no i don't put the cover back on. the problem was actually with the little nubs on the sides of the inside of the charger that hold the charging pins onto the contacts of the jawbone. over time these little nubs wear down and eventually will not hold the charger on the jawbone as well as when you first got it. replacement usb cable did the trick.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
no i don't put the cover back on. the problem was actually with the little nubs on the sides of the inside of the charger that hold the charging pins onto the contacts of the jawbone. over time these little nubs wear down and eventually will not hold the charger on the jawbone as well as when you first got it. replacement usb cable did the trick.

Okay, I just looked at mine, I see where you are talking about. When they are worn down, the springs in the pins push the thing off the headset.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
After you charge, do you put the black rubber boot back on the jawbone to cover the exposed pins.
FYI, Jawbone tech support say that the rubber cover is for shipping only and can be disgarded after purchase.

Feb 22, 2008
I know this is an old thread, but I thought you should know this. The charging curcuit detects the current level when charging and shuts off as current drops due to higher resistance as the battery charges, then the light turns white. If you plug it back in immediately, the circuit cannot detect the new resistance and will try to charge the battery again. This can damage the battery. This is true of all NiMH and LiIon batteries and chargers.