Jawbone users, come inside..

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

FAsnakes

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I’m seriously considering purchasing the Jawbone but I was looking for a feature that the Apple Bluetooth adapter has.

Using the jawbone, if I’m on a call can I place the current call on hold to answer a call from call waiting?

Jul 29, 2007
Unfortunately...

Sadly the Aliph Jawbone does not support the ability to send the command AT+CHLD=2 which would allow you to place the current call on hold and answer an incoming call. This command is also the same to swap an active call with a call on hold.

Jul 29, 2007
Before I answer your question, I want to make sure your are aware of the call waiting features.

AT+CHLD=0 is 3 Party Reject (Reject the second incoming call)
AT+CHLD=1 is 3 Party Drop 1 (Drop the active call and answer an incoming call or drop the active call and answer a held call)
AT+CHLD=2 is 3 Party Answer and Swap
AT+CHLD=3 is 3 Party Join (Conference Call)

What 3 Party Call handling features are you looking for?

Leed

Aug 5, 2007
Before I answer your question, I want to make sure your are aware of the call waiting features.

AT+CHLD=0 is 3 Party Reject (Reject the second incoming call)
AT+CHLD=1 is 3 Party Drop 1 (Drop the active call and answer an incoming call or drop the active call and answer a held call)
AT+CHLD=2 is 3 Party Answer and Swap
AT+CHLD=3 is 3 Party Join (Conference Call)

What 3 Party Call handling features are you looking for?
Mainly I'm looking for Call answer and hold. Then while a call is being held to swap between the two. It would be nice to be able to join calls but it's not a deal breaker. Call reject is not a deal breaker either but lots of headsets seem to support that feature (at least the frequently recommended models anyway).

Jul 29, 2007
I was posting in another thread about HFP v1.0 and 1.5

1.5 has recently started to go mainstream.

I've tested at least 20 headsets with the iPhone, they all might work well in one call handling feature and fail in another.

The more stable of the headset i've seen have yet to hit the market. However the Samsung WEP200 and 500 treated me fairly (Both have 3 party call handling).

The last 3 headset's i've used were the Motorola H700, Aliph Jawbone and the Apple headset (All have 3 party call handling).

Out of the 3 the Apple headset had the best call handling functionality, however I heard a lot of attenuation, echo and bit errors while in different calls. All 3 headsets had some issues of a different nature.

Leed

Aug 5, 2007
I was posting in another thread about HFP v1.0 and 1.5

1.5 has recently started to go mainstream.

I've tested at least 20 headsets with the iPhone, they all might work well in one call handling feature and fail in another.

The more stable of the headset i've seen have yet to hit the market. However the Samsung WEP200 and 500 treated me fairly (Both have 3 party call handling).

The last 3 headset's i've used were the Motorola H700, Aliph Jawbone and the Apple headset (All have 3 party call handling).

Out of the 3 the Apple headset had the best call handling functionality, however I heard a lot of attenuation, echo and bit errors while in different calls. All 3 headsets had some issues of a different nature.
yeah I hear the Jawbone is the best for call quality but you can't answer a call waiting while holding the current call so the Jawbone is not an option for me. I've tried the Apple and while it has the call-waiting feature I'm looking for, the call quality (static, range, etc.) is horrible. Additionally, I did not care for the fit of the Apple BT. I've used the Plantronics 510 and it's pretty decent but does not have the call-waiting option either. Currently I'm using the Jabra BT5020 and it does have the call-waiting feature among other things but it leaves a bit to be desired. I would like a little better range and the call quality is decent but is a little behind the Plantronics Voyager and probably light-years behind the Jawbone. I haven't heard much about the Samsung. Where's the best place to purchase?

Jul 29, 2007
Most stores carry it, as well as your local AT&T store. Take a look at the headset(s) at cellhut.com

I like the Jawbone too, although it has other flaws as well. Make a call, then transfer the call to the phone, using the phone, then watch the iPhone automatically transfer the call audio back to the headset. It doesn't happen all the time and is it groundbreaking. It is very irritating though, especially when the Jawbone doesn't support the ability to be powered off during a call.

ItalianBoston

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
So let me get this straight. If I am on a call and another call comes in I cant answer it and when I am done switch back to the call I was on?

If this is true I am not going to get the Jawbone like I was, please tell me this isn't true.

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
So let me get this straight. If I am on a call and another call comes in I cant answer it and when I am done switch back to the call I was on?

If this is true I am not going to get the Jawbone like I was, please tell me this isn't true.
I can understand people wanting this call switching convenience! For me it is not that important. I do have a question though, can't you just switch the call on the handset (iPhone) itself?

For me, if I hear another call coming in I will want to look at the phone and switch there anyway. I guess I can understand if you are driving, but I still look down at my phone. Also if most of your conversations are occurring while driving I would invest in a care bluetooth system.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I can understand people wanting this call switching convenience! For me it is not that important. I do have a question though, can't you just switch the call on the handset (iPhone) itself?

For me, if I hear another call coming in I will want to look at the phone and switch there anyway. I guess I can understand if you are driving, but I still look down at my phone. Also if most of your conversations are occurring while driving I would invest in a care bluetooth system.
Yes of course you can use the iPhone to switch calls, put them on hold, etc. like normal.

The issue they are discussing is being able to do this using ONLY the BT headset and without touching the iPhone.

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
Yes of course you can use the iPhone to switch calls, put them on hold, etc. like normal.

The issue they are discussing is being able to do this using ONLY the BT headset and without touching the iPhone.
I understand, but my point is wouldn't you want to look at the phone and see who is calling anyway to determine if you want to take that other call? Maybe it is just me LOL.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I understand, but my point is wouldn't you want to look at the phone and see who is calling anyway to determine if you want to take that other call? Maybe it is just me LOL.
I'm right with you. I have the Jawbone, and I absolutely love it. It's the 6th Bluetooth headset I've tried, and as far as I'm concerned, nothing comes close. I'm more than willing to inconvenience myself by having to actually LOOK at my phone and touch the screen in order to enjoy the exceptional sound quality and noise cancelling the Jawbone offers.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Jawbone's fit. I can't get the thing to fit in my ear comfortably. It always seems like its too lose. It is my first BT headset so im not sure how snug its supposed to be. I was originally under the impression that it is supposed to sit in your ear like earbuds, but the jawbone does not for me, kinda just sits over my ear hole, wont go inside because earbud is too big. Anyone have this problem?

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
Jawbone's fit. I can't get the thing to fit in my ear comfortably. It always seems like its too lose. It is my first BT headset so im not sure how snug its supposed to be. I was originally under the impression that it is supposed to sit in your ear like earbuds, but the jawbone does not for me, kinda just sits over my ear hole, wont go inside because earbud is too big. Anyone have this problem?
Haha yeah, I too have this same problem, and I have huge ears! I was wondering if there was a way to tighten it... It always seems to dangle. Its my first BT set, but besides that I'm happy with the purchase!

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
The Jawbone is designed to rest against your outer ear, not fit inside. That way it guarantees that the sensor (the little white "button" on the inside towards the mouth) rests against the cheek. Other headsets are designed to fit inside. All are different, each has its set of qualities and drawbacks, as mentioned before. I had both a Jawbone and Jabra JX10. The JX10 is much smaller, more comfortable, has digital noise cancellation, and is louder since it fits inside the ear.

I liked the clarity of the call and the tolerance for background noise of the Jawbone, but the disadvantages outweighed the advantages for me.

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
The Jawbone is designed to rest against your outer ear, not fit inside. That way it guarantees that the sensor (the little white "button" on the inside towards the mouth) rests against the cheek. Other headsets are designed to fit inside. All are different, each has its set of qualities and drawbacks, as mentioned before. I had both a Jawbone and Jabra JX10. The JX10 is much smaller, more comfortable, has digital noise cancellation, and is louder since it fits inside the ear.

I liked the clarity of the call and the tolerance for background noise of the Jawbone, but the disadvantages outweighed the advantages for me.
I have the Jawbone, and while I do love it, I have a full beard, so the white sensor does not sit directly on my cheek. Does anyone know if this disables any features, like the noise cancellation, because I notice no difference when I record with it on and off to test the feature. The background noise is always the same.