Jobs' Comments on 3rd Party Apps

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Apple Insider has a piece up covering answers given by Jobs at a Q&A session after the London announcement. He had some not too discouraging words apparently about apps that do not connect to the internet:
Meanwhile, Jobs acknowledged that third-party developers have started to produce several intriguing, yet unofficial iPhone applications. He said Apple is looking at some of them closely, especially those that don't require a connection to the Internet. It's likely that those applications would be the first of any to receive an official endorsement from Apple, according to Jobs' comments, as those that require Internet access could threaten the 'high standard' of experience customers have come to expect with the iPhone.
Would be an excellent first step to see ANY 3rd party apps endorsed or supported in some way by Apple.
Full post is HERE

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thank you for this post, it's a very intriguing nugget to chew on until the next 3rd party software announcement.

Since it hasn't been posted yet, shall we start speculating which applications are being considered?

I can say that the NES emulator would not be branded official for obvious copyright reasons with the rom files.

As to what else may be considered, everything I have begun to write about I end up deleting as I develop the thought further. What it boils down to is the best applications thus far are the ones which have added a necessary functionality that was previously missing. With that in mind, wouldn't it just be more sound to absorb these applications into the core OS rather than offer them as widgets? I would much rather have SMB prefs in my Settings widget for example.

With that said, we're not left with much on the plate given SJ's stance on internet reliant applications. Of whats left you can raise questions of copyright infringement, such as Lights Off and the Tiger handheld game it draws it's engine from.

Thoughts?

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
It would be wise for Apple to start recognizing 3rd party apps and not discourage it by annihilating them with each software or firmware updates. Not only will Apple benefit by it by augmenting and expanding the iPhone's functionality, but it will also bolster its popularity which of course most likely equate to sales.
Given this, I wonder if there will be a steep decline in hacking or modding by users; thus making this "hobby" less exciting once Apple gives its support... Either way, it's all good!

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I vote for Jive Talk. By far (IMO) the most stable and efficient IM aggregator I have used. I want this running in the background native, not when I can have Safari open.

A password manager would be nice. I would type my passwords in Notes but a main pw cannot be set.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
I vote for Jive Talk. By far (IMO) the most stable and efficient IM aggregator I have used. I want this running in the background native, not when I can have Safari open.

A password manager would be nice. I would type my passwords in Notes but a main pw cannot be set.
jivetalk isn't a native third party app. it's a web app. i'd be nice to see Apple endorse say mobileChat or something like that.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
With that said, we're not left with much on the plate given SJ's stance on internet reliant applications. Of whats left you can raise questions of copyright infringement, such as Lights Off and the Tiger handheld game it draws it's engine from.

Thoughts?

A digital wallet app (that does not involve the web) would be nice, but haven't seen one of those yet. I like the Dock app quite a bit, but that seems like something Apple will do themselves. A better notes application and a task manager would be nice too.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
A digital wallet app (that does not involve the web) would be nice, but haven't seen one of those yet. I like the Dock app quite a bit, but that seems like something Apple will do themselves. A better notes application and a task manager would be nice too.
Heh, seems you've come to the same conclusion. Whatever they wouldn't absorb themselves doesn't actually leave much of what's available.

Also, I have to agree on a better tasks manager as well. I'm grateful for the one thats currently available, but its an obvious rework of the money application. Look at the back button when editing a task, it's labeled Transactions :p

Still, it is nice to have something so I can't knock it too hard.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
It would be wise for Apple to start recognizing 3rd party apps and not discourage it by annihilating them with each software or firmware updates. Not only will Apple benefit by it by augmenting and expanding the iPhone's functionality, but it will also bolster its popularity which of course most likely equate to sales.
Given this, I wonder if there will be a steep decline in hacking or modding by users; thus making this "hobby" less exciting once Apple gives its support... Either way, it's all good!
Well, think about it this way. iTunes doesn't delete my music that I have on my phone whether I downloaded it from limewire or not. So I am not going to get too critical of Apple for trying to keep ringtones exclusive to their store for the time being.

I think they are also trying to sell computers at retail which could work against the iPhone being upgraded into a "portable computer".

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I think they are also trying to sell computers at retail which could work against the iPhone being upgraded into a "portable computer".
There's no overlap, the iPhone is mobile for all intents and purposes. The iPod and iPhone will continue to serve as ambassadors for the "Switch" campaign.

"Getting more people into the tent" as Steve Jobs put it, means getting more people to see a different way of doing things. Getting a taste of osx, mobile or not, is the real goal here because that will ultimately push more desktops in the long run.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Heh, seems you've come to the same conclusion. Whatever they wouldn't absorb themselves doesn't actually leave much of what's available.

Also, I have to agree on a better tasks manager as well. I'm grateful for the one thats currently available, but its an obvious rework of the money application. Look at the back button when editing a task, it's labeled Transactions :p

Still, it is nice to have something so I can't knock it too hard.
Task manager = I've been trying several online ones.

On the general apps support front, I guess I'm mainly thinking that *any* support from Apple for 3rd party apps is a good start. Hopefully if / when that materializes, it will help all the folks out there developing, and encourage some established mobile software publishers (those who currently publish for Windows Mobile, Palm etc.) to jump in and produce some good stuff too ...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I think Jobs' admission today was in fact the open invite to the established Palm and PocketPC developers.

The homebrew scene very well may become the test bed for legitimate applications, a sandbox if you will. I think thats where Apple would like to see it head, that way everyone stands to benefit.

You have to understand that if they do not nurture this community with a delicate touch, they run the risk of becoming "The Evil Corporation" which is akin to being the "IBM" of Jobs' early years in the businesss. This would explain the neutral stance and now the embracing. It's funny, because it had to be Jobs as the one who dropped this bomb, undoubtedly. I mean you think he's gonna let some other guy overshadow him with the general "Apple's stance" statement? No way, lol.