Jobs is a hippie?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Jobs is a hippie?

I just watched a program on the history channel called hippies. It talks about jobs being a hippie. It said the most powerfuly influence hippies had on the world was technology. Introduced of course by Jobs. Theyalso mentioned Stewart brand as being a huge hippie. Sorry I just thought I would mention this as it kinda caught me off guard.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
We were all hippies in those days, or we wanted to be.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
There was a show about Jobs and Gates, and yep, Jobs was a hippie, and Gates was always a geek. Now look at 'em!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I wonder if jobs saw the iPhone in a hallucenation he may have had back in those days...a vision of sorts:p

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
yes, said he was in to sandals and bathed in rivers and crap. This is the guy who invisioned the iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Of course he is. He couldn't have thought up all these world shaking devices without some mind altering substances.:D

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Here is a quote from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

"Jobs then backpacked around India with a Reed College friend (and, later, first Apple employee), Daniel Kottke, in search of philosophical enlightenment. He came back with his head shaved and wearing traditional Indian clothing. During this time, Jobs experimented with LSD, calling these experiences "one of the two or three most important things he has done in his life."[16] He has stated that people around him who did not share his countercultural roots could not understand certain aspects of his thinking.[16]
Jobs then backpacked around India with a Reed College friend (and, later, first Apple employee), Daniel Kottke, in search of philosophical enlightenment. He came back with his head shaved and wearing traditional Indian clothing. During this time, Jobs experimented with LSD, calling these experiences "one of the two or three most important things he has done in his life."[16] He has stated that people around him who did not share his countercultural roots could not understand certain aspects of his thinking.[16]"

Last edited by a moderator:

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
The only reason it sounds weird is because nature & bathing in the river is like the opposite of technology & computers. Too bad, if the hippies would of won we wouldn't be in this B.S. war right now or having all our iPhone calls, sms, email recorded and monitored.

Posted fr iPhone.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
well not much of an Apple fan before I got my iPhone I didn't know much about the guy.

misecia

Apr 1, 2008
you should watch Pirates of Silicon Valley to see how much of hippie he was in the early days of Apple.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
you should watch Pirates of Silicon Valley to see how much of hippie he was in the early days of Apple.
I'd love to watch that sometime, is it a movie, documentary, what? Where may I find it?

misecia

Apr 1, 2008
I'd love to watch that sometime, is it a movie, documentary, what? Where may I find it?
its a made-for-TV movie
there's also a documentary called Triumph of the Nerds

bmg97

Bronze
Nov 20, 2007
So the bottom line here is Drugs are not that bad and can lead to being a billionaire ?

Oct 22, 2008
I rather doubt that Steve Jobs was a hippie. It was Steve Wozniak that tried to hang with the hippies. Eventially the hippies rejected Steve Wozniak, because they distrusted him as he would not do drugs with them. I've also heard that it was Wozniak who travel around the world and he had also start a couple of concert (known as the U.S festival) in which he lost over $12 million. It was Wozniak that was the true inventer at Apple. Wozniak was the one who engineered the Apple I and Apple II before going into businesss with Steve Jobs. Later Wozniak left Apple to start working on a Universal Remote called the CL 9.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The only reason it sounds weird is because nature & bathing in the river is like the opposite of technology & computers. Too bad, if the hippies would of won we wouldn't be in this B.S. war right now or having all our iPhone calls, sms, email recorded and monitored.

Posted fr iPhone.
If I recall correctly, several of those "hippies" went on to Wall Street to make a living...