Joint iTunes Apple ID (cont.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ledsteplin, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

@Europa Doing it as you say, would there be any "back up to iTunes" problems related to contacts. Someone keeps telling me the contacts would get mixed up. He gets his info from the Apple forums. He set up 2 iTunes accounts on his puter. And he had to have 2 Windows accounts to do that. LOL I trust your knowledge more than where he gets his info. So how would the iTunes back up work?

#1 Ledsteplin, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, there won't be any problems with the contacts in the backups. Yours and her backups will be separate. It doesn't matter if you backup in your separate iCloud accounts or on your computer in iTunes.

The person you are referring to had problems in iTunes because he was using two iTunes accounts. You are going to share an iTunes account. I recommend that because you can share apps, movies and music. You will have separate iCloud accounts. This is where the contacts are stored.

Let me know if you want to start her out with your contacts and then switch it to her separate account to use from there on. I help you through that process.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Ok. Thanks! Will this hurt my battery? :D

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Don't even...

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

@Europa or anyone else. When my wife sets up her iCloud account, she'll use a different Apple ID (email) than the one we will share for iTunes. That right?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, she will set up a new @iCloud account after she gets the phone. She will use this to sign into iCloud in settings and your iTunes account to sign into iTunes.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Ok. Does it matter that my iMessage and FaceTime is attached to my iTunes Apple ID? It's what appears at the top.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, that won't matter. You'll have one account and she'll have two. She won't be using that account for iCloud, iMessages or FaceTime. She'll have her own. You'll log into iTunes and iCloud with the same Apple ID. She will have to log into them separately using your iTunes account and her iCloud account. It's not a big deal. I've been doing it this way for years. It really is the best way to do it because you won't have to share that 5 GB.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Ok. Thanks a lot, Europa. :)

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

@Europa, when I try to enter her iCloud Apple ID, it won't take it. I entered my Apple ID iTunes. Then went to settings to iCloud and entered a different ID and password. Doesn't work.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I assure you that it does work. I've been doing it that way for years. I just restored to factory settings a week or so ago and it let me log into each separately like it always does.

Make sure you're using the correct login and password for iCloud.

Did you create an iCloud account for her on her iPhone?

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Not sure what you mean. I went to iCloud in settings and entered in her email and password, but it has pop up that says incorrect EMAIL OR PASSWORD.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Where do I create iCloud account?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have to setup an iCloud account. It sounds like you tried to use the email and password for an existing email account without setting up an iCloud account for her. You can set it up with an existing email account, but it will have you set up an iCloud password if you do that. I recommend that you set up an iCloud account for her with an @iCloud address. They are free and it will allow her to sync notes.

There is an option to set up an account when you go to iCloud on her iPhone. Click "Get a Free Apple ID" and then select "Get a Free iCloud email address."

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Got iCloud done. In iMessage and FaceTime it asks for Apple ID. Do I skip that? It would be mine.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need it for iMessages and FaceTime. It's a phone, so it will use her phone number for those features. She can just use her phone number alone for those two things. The only reason to add an email for FaceTime and iMessages on her phone is if she wants to be able to communicate with people she prefers not to give her phone number to. If that's the case, she would need to add HER iCloud email there, not the joint Apple ID you guys use for iTunes and the App Store. If you put your account in for messages/FaceTime on her phone, you would also receive her messages and FaceTime calls (that are sent to your email). This is one of many reasons I recommended keeping these separate and creating her own iCloud ID for her. If you do add an email there, use the @iCloud address you just set up for her. She would need to tell those people to iMessage and FaceTime this email rather than her phone number.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Got all that. Now I'm having trouble adding her gmail account in settings. Gmail is not even in the list to choose from.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You set up an iCloud account for her with an @icloud address, correct?

Are you just trying to add her Gmail to the email settings? It's under Google.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah. I'm an idiot. I went back and saw Google, then it hit me. It used to say Gmail. :)

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

All done. Thanks! iTunes works like a charm.