Jony Ive Quote Switzerland is in trouble!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The funny part about this story is that Ive didn't use the phrase in trouble. The NY Times says it was much more colorful. This being a family friendly forum, I won't guess here. Honestly, I think those companies stand to benefit, in some odd way. If Apple and the others bring more interest to watches, maybe it'll generate sales. Then again, anyone buying one of these iWatches, isn't likely to strap on an old timepiece or will they? I own a fairly nice watch, but it sits in the box 360 days of the year.

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
I can see this hurting Switzerland's sales somewhat. I think the average guy that wears watches but would only maybe own 1 expensive watch may buy this over something else more traditional.
As far as the wealthy watch collectors, they'll still be buying up the traditional expensive watches.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
More colorful? Maybe he said, "Switzerland is in deep ****!" Or some such. If it's a great watch many will want, then the Swiss do have cause for worry. Timex ain't gonna like it either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I own a fairly nice watch, but it sits in the box 360 days of the year.
I own a fairly nice watch, too, and it was looking almost brand new last time I opened the box where it's been stored (365 days/year) for, oh, the last four years or thereabouts. It's somewhere... around... I hope.

I would buy an iWatch someday—but not if I have to charge it every 48-72 hours. That thing better work for at least five to seven days on a single charge. I won't settle for "wireless" charging either, at least not by today's definitions of wirelesss charging. I'm not especially keen on going back to wearing watches as is, so frequent charging would just make the thing a nuisance to own.

I wonder if the iWatch is going to be remotely-wipeable and -brickable? That ability would give me some peace of mind, especially here in Miami. I don't need strangers learning my fitness and jogging records or, worse yet, leaking these to the media... :)

Maybe the iWatch 2s or iWatch 3 will have solar charging or charging via movement.

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
I can see this hurting Switzerland's sales somewhat. I think the average guy that wears watches but would only maybe own 1 expensive watch may buy this over something else more traditional.
As far as the wealthy watch collectors, they'll still be buying up the traditional expensive watches.
Sent from my iPhone 5
Mostly agree Hinezy!

I don't see any "fine swiss watch" maker trembling over a $250 - $400 (I'm basing that solely on the Samsung gear pricing) tech watch. I can't imagine Breitling, Tag, Omega and Rolex (to name a couple) will care in the least. Now, if an iWatch is released and it IS in the $1000+ range, then yes, it may have some impact.

If my guessed price range is accurate, the Citizen Eco-Drive customer may have a choice to make, but the guy who buys a $5k - $10k Breitling or $10k - $20k Rolex is still gonna buy that watch no matter what Apple releases.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Mostly agree Hinezy!

I don't see any "fine swiss watch" maker trembling over a $250 - $400 (I'm basing that solely on the Samsung gear pricing) tech watch. I can't imagine Breitling, Tag, Omega and Rolex (to name a couple) will care in the least. Now, if an iWatch is released and it IS in the $1000+ range, then yes, it may have some impact.

If my guessed price range is accurate, the Citizen Eco-Drive customer may have a choice to make, but the guy who buys a $5k - $10k Breitling or $10k - $20k Rolex is still gonna buy that watch no matter what Apple releases.
It might affect the sales of Timex! :D