Or it means the price will drop "on sale"
all this is confusing:p

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
Roflao

:laugh2:

Bunch of kids worried about the wording. I would guess he meant shipped by 6pm.....

Getting mine the 28th! lol:p
Who you know...

Jun 4, 2007
I couldnt imagine them making people wait until 6pm to buy them.. that serves no purpose at all. You would have all these people waiting around the store all day interrupting not only att regular businesss but the other stores around them. Plus that means that they have to sell these things around whats probably their busiest time of the day.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Thinking about this.. I can't believe he accidentally used "shipping".

So I have to assume that they are likely not shipping the product until then. June is the last month of the second quarter. I don't know how Apple keeps their books, but they could be potentially shipping at the last possible minute to get them on the books for the second quarter.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
ok according to engadget's covergage of WWDC jobs said this...

From that I get, it will be available for purchase at 6pm on 6/29/07. Also the "i believe" tells me he's not 100% sure or its not set in stone.
I take back what I said.. the Mac Rumors transcribers did a poor job then... I appreciate their work but making a mistake like that changes what was said enormously.

May 6, 2007
United States
I need to call my Apple store and see what exactly is going on here.

I will see if I can reach them and get back to you guys.

EDIT: So I called the local Apple store and got the scoop on the 29th. They said that they usually close at 9 P.M., but will close the store down from 4-6 P.M. on the 29th to get ready. The man said that it would be like a regular day until four, when they would get the supplies ready to open the doors and start selling it at 6 P.M. So I guess I will get there around noon.

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
crunch gear.com
Earlier today, during his WWDC 07 Keynote address, Steve Jobs said that the iPhone would be released on June 29, which “is 18 days from now. At, uh, 6PM.” This was said to a chuckle. I’m afraid he was joking, folks. He seemed very “off the prompter” when he said it, as a light-hearted aside.

Look for the iPhone to be available when your local AT&T or Apple store opens its doors, whatever time that might be. And don’t line up, it’s not Star Wars or something.
Hopefully there right

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
Better yet. The iPhone is the greatest prank ever played on the american public.

1. iPhone
2. JFK
3. Moon landing

May 6, 2007
United States
crunch gear.com
Earlier today, during his WWDC 07 Keynote address, Steve Jobs said that the iPhone would be released on June 29, which “is 18 days from now. At, uh, 6PM.” This was said to a chuckle. I’m afraid he was joking, folks. He seemed very “off the prompter” when he said it, as a light-hearted aside.

Look for the iPhone to be available when your local AT&T or Apple store opens its doors, whatever time that might be. And don’t line up, it’s not Star Wars or something.
Hopefully there right
I don't think so. Read my earlier post on the 5th page, it states that I called the Apple store and they said that they would close at 4 P.M. and start selling at 6 P.M. I am assuming that this is 6 o'clock wherever you live, but I am not quite sure. I will head in to the Apple store this weekend, to check in again.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't think so. Read my earlier post on the 5th page, it states that I called the Apple store and they said that they would close at 4 P.M. and start selling at 6 P.M. I am assuming that this is 6 o'clock wherever you live, but I am not quite sure. I will head in to the Apple store this weekend, to check in again.
That doesn't make sense. If they wait to start selling them at 6 PM, then they'll only have one hour of sales at all the Cingular At&t stores. They close at 7 PM.

Maybe he's just talking about the Apple stores.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I don't think AT&T stores will adhere to this 6PM rule. They will just sell it on 6/29 at 9am.

May 6, 2007
United States
That doesn't make sense. If they wait to start selling them at 6 PM, then they'll only have one hour of sales at all the Cingular At&t stores. They close at 7 PM.

Maybe he's just talking about the Apple stores.

Look, I am just going off what I was told. Anything could happen. My point was that I don't think it is a joke.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Been reading all of these threads over the mass confusion. What's so confusing? They've done something like this in the past. It seems pretty clear that you can buy the iPhone at an Apple store at 6pm. Of course, this is 6pm relative to the local time of the store. Seems pretty clear to me. :)

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
Randolph, MA Store says 29th (or sooner)

Of course everything must be taken with a grain of salt - but that's what the guy told me yesterday afternoon. He will call me when he has a better idea of when they will ship/arrive at the store. I've got an Apple Store 5 minutes away as well, and if the ATT store thing doesn't fly - I'll just shoot over to Apple. I still think it will be a lot longer/painful as far as getting the service up and running at Apple vs ATT.

The fact that ATT sells plans/activate etc.. every day whereas Apple will just be starting that night at 6, makes me still believe it will be a LOT easier there!

my 2¢

kewl!o

Bronze
May 28, 2007
Apex, NC
thethirdrail.wordpress.com
where can you find it?!

Is the phone going to be available at Apple stores too? I thought it was only being offered by AT&T. Does anyone know? I heard that there might not be enough equipment to even have more than 1 or 2 available at the AT&T stores. I am curious as to whether or not more can be found at the Apple stores.
I called AT&T and Apple Store:
AT&T: said they'd only be available @ "main" locations
Apple: said they'd only be available from AppleStore since it is an Apple product.

I plan to call on the afternoon of the 28th to see if they actually came in.
AT&T opens an hour earlier than Apple, so I plan to go there first.

3dg

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
After watching the Steve Jobs keynote, I think he was kidding. My Apple rep said they will get the the morning of the 29th - and no sooner. Why they'd wait until 6pm is anyone's guess - and stupid really. You set a date - people will be there to buy. Nuff said.