Just a few thoughts...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 18, 2007
What I do not understand is why most people in this forum are complaining. Before I bought the iPhone, I knew exactly what I was getting. I did the research on what features it had and what it doesn't. I am not going to spend all this money on a device I don't think is worth it.

But most of the people who are complaining here must have not done their research before buying the product. All I see is people complaining how they are getting rid of their phone, they will leave AT&T and how they feel suckered. These hacks didn't come out until the iPhone was hacked. None of the extra programs were there before and you still bought the phone. Not only is it a phone but it is an Ipod, a movie player and it searches the internet like it should be done not some crap coming from a Sprint service or Tmobile Sidekick. Have you tried to browse with that? HAH

If you want to get rid of the phone because the emulator doesn't work anymore or the wallpaper cant be placed where you want it, then you wasted your money. Personally, I wouldn't risk wasting my phone on some stupid hack right now for an NES game or adding my own menu buttons. I go into those forums and you hear people complain about how their phone is a POS because they locked it up. HAHA

Im not an Apple groupie, as a matter of fact this is my first Apple product. I normally buy Creative mp3 players. But i have to say hats off to Apple for making a device like this. I think they know what they are doing as far as marketing is concerned. They control 80% of the mp3 player market and have change the way people listen to their music. So before you go whining about your options and updates. I suggest you sit and think about what might be coming next? I haven't seen many people having speculation about a Microsoft FIRMWARE update ever! I think there will be new options coming our way but personally I would rather a stable product and bug fixes over a emulator any day.

Plane and simple, Apple knows what they are doing. Thats why you bought the device in the first place. They give you what you want.

Just my two cents, if i had 48 more I could sing on a hook to.

Peace

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
They are always not an "Apple groupie" or fanboy. They just showed up. They dive right into "be happy with what you've got" mantra that has been stated 37,858 times before. They ***** about complaining when that is all their post is about. It's getting to be a trend.

I'm starting to believe the guy who said they are paid shills.

--
Mike

obcsed

Jul 15, 2007
Not a shill but more likely a lurker like me. I've been reading this site since before iDay and used to find it very helpful and informative. However, recently it appears to be populated with a bunch of cry babies. These whiners had the audacity to break their agreements with Apple and AT&T and modified their iPhones. Now they are crying because Apple closed the holes. These guys didn't want an iPhone in the first place. They seem to be looking for a hand-held laptop. The iPhone ain't it. I hope the forum can soon return to the friendly, helpful place it once was. I also have the unrealistic hope that the hackers will give up and go away. If they stop trying to make end runs around the agreements, Apple will have more time to develop and release new functions for the phone rather than wasting precious time blocking the *hackers.*

I'll go back to lurking now.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
You haven't seen anything yet, sure we get these "just registered" folk popping in to give us vets their 2 cents on the situation, but over on Macrumors they've got a small army of these kind of people and they are lead by a poster named DavePorter.

Wow, you want to talk to a brick wall, talk to DavePorter... Hes got a lot more to say than the so called lurkers we have here, and he writes walls of text as his response. The logic is just plain ridiculous and is so conservative that even I, a republican, have to step back and ask wth?

His most recent tirade was that because 1.1.1 was now 3rd party app free the OS was "finally secured"... Yes, thats Secured with an S. This post was followed up by about 10 or so stating if Apple's software can write to the device, so can anyone else once they are in. He seems to think otherwise and hasn't had any problem telling the whole world why, lol.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I hope the forum can soon return to the friendly, helpful place it once was.
The iPhone has become a lightning rod. Between the price drop and the 1.1.1 firmware update, there is a lot of unrest in the community. A lot of that has been reflected here at EIP.

I think once Apple announces support for development of 3rd party apps, we'll have mostly happy campers.

-Chris

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You haven't seen anything yet, sure we get these "just registered" folk popping in to give us vets their 2 cents on the situation, but over on Macrumors they've got a small army of these kind of people and they are lead by a poster named DavePorter.

Wow, you want to talk to a brick wall, talk to DavePorter... Hes got a lot more to say than the so called lurkers we have here, and he writes walls of text as his response. The logic is just plain ridiculous and is so conservative that even I, a republican, have to step back and ask wth?

His most recent tirade was that because 1.1.1 was now 3rd party app free the OS was "finally secured"... Yes, thats Secured with an S. This post was followed up by about 10 or so stating if Apple's software can write to the device, so can anyone else once they are in. He seems to think otherwise and hasn't had any problem telling the whole world why, lol.
After witnessing them in action here I am not surprised by anything lately.

Personally, it's the negative attitude that is more troubling than the update. In most device communities I've been a part of people stick together to help all. I would never in a million years have believed there would actually be tirades against... against... what? Modding a phone? Unbelievable.

I've been slowly trying to migrate over to modmyiPhone.com for my reading, in the hopes that this kind of nonsense is held in check.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
After witnessing them in action here I am not surprised by anything lately.

Personally, it's the negative attitude that is more troubling than the update. In most device communities I've been a part of people stick together to help all. I would never in a million years have believed there would actually be tirades against... against... what? Modding a phone? Unbelievable.

I've been slowly trying to migrate over to modmyiPhone.com for my reading, in the hopes that this kind of nonsense is held in check.

--
Mike
Hey Mike, have you considered the Community base we're in compared to the ones in your previous experience? This isn't exactly the PC/'Nix paradise of the PocketPC days if you catch my drift. I don't wanna ruffle any feathers but holy smokes its like night and day between these two communities imho.

Whats the deal with getting so emotional, it's just a pile of electronics y'know? How I miss the good ol' days.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hey Mike, have you considered the Community base we're in compared to the ones in your previous experience? This isn't exactly the PC/'Nix paradise of the PocketPC days if you catch my drift. I don't wanna ruffle any feathers but holy smokes its like night and day between these two communities imho.

Whats the deal with getting so emotional, it's just a pile of electronics y'know? How I miss the good ol' days.
Yes indeed I miss those days. And it's not like we didn't critize the device (we did). It's just that most people understood where the criticism was coming from: we wanted to better the device!

I also agree the community was somehow "different." Remember the you-know-what fanfests? Good lord if that happened in this community it would turn into a bloodbath, or so it seems.

I mentioned above about modmyiPhone.com, but now that I have a 1.1.1 iPhone I'm wondering what would be the point. ;)

--
Mike

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This isn't exactly the PC/'Nix paradise of the PocketPC days if you catch my drift. I don't wanna ruffle any feathers but holy smokes its like night and day between these two communities imho.
In addition to this site, I also run EverythingQ (Moto Q site) and Everything Treo. When I think of those sites and EIP, it's most definitely night and day. Apple certainly has not made my job any easier with their recent decisions.

-Chris

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
The iPhone has become a lightning rod. Between the price drop and the 1.1.1 firmware update, there is a lot of unrest in the community. A lot of that has been reflected here at EIP.

I think once Apple announces support for development of 3rd party apps, we'll have mostly happy campers.

-Chris
I agree.

I have no direct knowledge that Apple plans to support TPAs, but I do think that they will in the medium term. Why haven't they so far, considering that the iPhone runs the same OS as their computers? Because they view the Mac as a platform and the iPhone as a device.

The sooner they treat the iPhone as a platform, too, the faster we'll see app support. That's going to be driven by their perception that they can increase iPhone sales without significantly affecting stability.

The hue and cry about apps on boards like this will help, as will comments in technology blogs and articles by people like Walt Mossberg and David Pogue. Reasoned feedback directly to Apple will also help.

Meanwhile, if I had added apps to my iPhone and wanted to keep them, I simply wouldn't have installed 1.1.1.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've been a member there for a while, mainly lurking with a few posts under my belt. My problem with just getting up and moving over there is the actual integrity of the site itself, it goes down often and is heavily monetized. Thats Heavily Monetized with an H and an M. The inline ads are a joke, my post becomes a contextual ad-link minefield, and if I don't keep it short and sweet the bottom of my post becomes the proud owner of a banner ad.

To add to this, its very slow loading over edge which is a big deal for me because I don't have access to WiFi at work. I do, but I prefer they don't see what I'm actually doing on their dime ;)

I think the real issue here is that the level of moderation, both administered an self imposed, is lacking when it comes to immediate responses. I read the thread about you and others falling victim to a bad post which prompted people to upgrade to 1.1.1 only to find out that 3rd party Apps do not work contrary to what it originally stated. The OP edited their post, but not in time it would seem.

Sorry to hear the news, it was a fun ride and a real confirmation of sorts for me at least to see that you were also an iPhone user. I remembered you as a PowerUser/ProSumer so if you were in this boat I figured I didn't jump too blindly after all when I hopped on.