just a question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Henrico

Jan 12, 2007
hey all,
just wondering, if Apple can fit a 30GB and 80GB hard drive(or is it flash memory:sick: ) into an ipod video which is quite close to the size of an iPhone, why offer only 4GB and 8GB?

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
There are several reasons to go with flash over a hard drive. IMO, the two biggest reasons are that flash is much more durable (no moving parts) and flash is much more energy efficient. In addition, flash is much faster than a hard drive.

The only advantage a hard drive currently has is size (MB). As bigger flash chips become available, hard drives will be push out of mobile devices.

To answer you question, even if there is enough space in the iPhone's enclosure to hold a hard drive, I doubt Apple will release a hard drive based iPhone. I think the power consumption alone will keep the iPhone flash only.

dafooey

May 8, 2007
There are several reasons to go with flash over a hard drive. IMO, the two biggest reasons are that flash is much more durable (no moving parts) and flash is much more energy efficient. In addition, flash is much faster than a hard drive.

The only advantage a hard drive currently has is size (MB). As bigger flash chips become available, hard drives will be push out of mobile devices.

To answer you question, even if there is enough space in the iPhone's enclosure to hold a hard drive, I doubt Apple will release a hard drive based iPhone. I think the power consumption alone will keep the iPhone flash only.
Totally agree with the flash drive recommendation...hopefully the technological barriers are broken soon and flash drive sizes will dramatically increase.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Totally agree with the flash drive recommendation...hopefully the technological barriers are broken soon and flash drive sizes will dramatically increase.
This is DEFINITELY on the top of the industry's todo list. :laugh2:

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US

What he said. :)

-K

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
There's no doubt that is the case. I just wish the flash prices would drop a little faster and a 32G could be in place of the 8G. ;)

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
There's no doubt that is the case. I just wish the flash prices would drop a little faster and a 32G could be in place of the 8G. ;)
Absolutely. But I have a great idea. Samsung has announced they're making 64GB CF cards. Even if you only get a now-easy-to-find 16GB card, you'd be doubling the capacity of the bigger iPhone. Now, Mark Hoekstra has made a name for himself by swapping out old iPod Mini hard drives and replacing them with CF cards. See where I'm going with this? Anyone care to void their new iPhone warranty? :laugh2:

-K