just back from the u.k. and...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iPhone69

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
South Florida
Nothing, absouletly nothing. Went to the "largest Apple store in the world" ( for now) and no in-store advertising, no commercials on tv, no news of it on the news channels and even no conversations between most of the people I met. I find this unbelievable, since we Americans we talking about this on a countrywide basis about a month or so before the release. I even asked people in the store if they were going to buy the phone, a lot didn't even know it was coming to the u.k. And btw the store in central london was amazing.

Santfekuss

Jul 18, 2007
I live in the UK and I bought an iPhone in August whilst in Orlando, unlocked it and even upgraded to 1.1.1 and use it. To be honest, the iPhone is not classed as such a great phone over here.Yeah, its got the wow factor but phonewise......its not that good. We use MMS a lot, send multiple texts to people,forward texts to people, add icons in text messages, use it as a decent camera/video (5mp is standard just about over here), use 3G etc......all of these things the iPhone cannot do.
Sometimes, I put my sim in my Sony ericsson s500i, and realise how 'bad' the iPhone is. But, I'm an Apple fan, and love my gadgets so the iPhone over here is as some say .......... 'nowt flash' :mad:

We have a show here in the UK called 'The Gadget show' and they pitted the iPhone against the Nokia N95 :p and even tho the presenter has everything Apple......the iPhone was slated.

PS.......and yes, we've heard about you Yanks flashing your iPhones in the Apple stores etc,.....but we're not that impressed :oops:

dazza

Sep 19, 2007
I live in the UK and I bought an iPhone in August whilst in Orlando, unlocked it and even upgraded to 1.1.1 and use it. To be honest, the iPhone is not classed as such a great phone over here.Yeah, its got the wow factor but phonewise......its not that good. We use MMS a lot, send multiple texts to people,forward texts to people, add icons in text messages, use it as a decent camera/video (5mp is standard just about over here), use 3G etc......all of these things the iPhone cannot do.
Sometimes, I put my sim in my Sony ericsson s500i, and realise how 'bad' the iPhone is. But, I'm an Apple fan, and love my gadgets so the iPhone over here is as some say .......... 'nowt flash' :mad:

We have a show here in the UK called 'The Gadget show' and they pitted the iPhone against the Nokia N95 :p and even tho the presenter has everything Apple......the iPhone was slated.

PS.......and yes, we've heard about you Yanks flashing your iPhones in the Apple stores etc,.....but we're not that impressed :oops:
I too bought one to use in the UK, I sold my n95 to part pay/justify the iPhone, you are right in what you say,but isn't the N95 a terribly poorly built phone?!

It is worth noting too that it's cheaper to buy an unlocked iPhone from the states and use your own/ payg sim than the expected O2 tarriff.

Santfekuss

Jul 18, 2007
I agree Daz, thats what I've said to do. Buy one, and just unlock it to put in your own sim. Unless, CPW and o2 get you to sign up and do the credit check instore ? Or get one from the Apple store and do it.

I agree about the N95.....only had a brief play with one but hated it, Sony Ericsson for me :laugh2:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
It looks like Apple are going to have to pull their fingers out and get some "normal" features on the iPhone ASAP. They can only make excuses for not having MMS for so long.

I'm not sure how Apple think they are going to sell some 8 million iPhones next year in Europe. I simply do not see it happening!

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I too bought one to use in the UK, I sold my n95 to part pay/justify the iPhone, you are right in what you say,but isn't the N95 a terribly poorly built phone?!
Uh, if you had a N95 wouldn't you know?

Mine's fine despite being dropped a number of times. Will probably upgrade it to the N95 8Gb though as it's a bit smarter and has even more features.

As for the fanfare, what Santfekuss said is true - the iPhone is nice but it's not got the features we hoped a European release would have. Bit of a dropped ball by Apple there.

Itrekman

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Apple will have the missing feature by the time they released it in Europe. 3G will be missing from it. Who knows the next update might be the key making the iPhone a better phone

Santfekuss

Jul 18, 2007
TBH, I don't think they will. There's too many of them for another update, the Software would have to have a total re-vamp.
But, its their first go in the phone market, they should have teamed up with someone like Sony Ericsson/Nokia, but Apple being Apple ........ :sick: But when it comes to making computers / iPods , they win hands down :laugh2:

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Apple will have the missing feature by the time they released it in Europe. 3G will be missing from it. Who knows the next update might be the key making the iPhone a better phone
Since it's released in Europe a week tomorrow I kind of doubt it. As for the mythical 'next update' I don't think anyone's buying that one anymore.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I think the thing to remember is how far back we yanks are here with cellphone technologies and marketing strategies.

Basically, the US is the worst place to buy a cellphone, and the networks available pale in comparison to say, Japan...

Its no wonder the US snapped up iPhones the way they did, the market hasn't produced anything great state-side since the flip-phone. Meanwhile in other parts of the world people have bonified camcorders in their pockets which coincidentally can watch live TV and oh yeah, make a pretty clear phone call if you want.

I was viewing the Pandas in San Diego Zoo last year, and a Japanese fellow asked if he could lean in front of me to grab some footage on his camcorder. I said "Hai" and whilst leaning to my side I noticed his camcorder said Nokia on it... Yeah, it got me thinking, because at first I thought it was a D-Snap, but nope, it was a full function phone...

So yeah, it's literally no surprise the rest of the world isn't "wowed" by the iPhone.

Yet another niche Apple product.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
I had an N95 and its of such cheap build quality its unbelievable.

The iPhone looks and feels well worth the $400 that paid for it. The N95 an the other hand was not worth the £=250 i paid for it at the time. Chunky, lame....same old Symbian menu system, boring 3rd party apps. Everyone i've showed the iPhone has been wowed by it, where as the N95 they all thought was fugly.

I have unlocked my phone and 8 others (for my friends and family) as they purchased one after seeing how awesome mines was. I don't think any other phone I've had has had such an effect on my friends and family.

(I'm unlocked on 02 in the UK running v1.1.1)

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
You paid £250 for a N95? They must have seen you coming.

As for build quality, once again, mine's fine. No complaints at all.

Horse for courses I suppose.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
You paid £250 for a N95? They must have seen you coming.

As for build quality, once again, mine's fine. No complaints at all.

Horse for courses I suppose.
It was almost 2 years ago when it was released. It was pay as you go, brand new sim free :laugh2:

dazza

Sep 19, 2007
Uh, if you had a N95 wouldn't you know? quote]

Uh, yeah - it was a comment not a question - I guess the inclusion of a questin mark confused you.

Yes it is a very poorly built phone, mine went in twice - both times for new speakers.

The slider got wobblier each time I used it - gps was a joke too.

But i could use mms,the camera was better etc etc.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Yeah Nokia crammed loads of features into it but kinda dropped the ball on build quality on the N95, I hear the 8GB's better though. Odd cos I've got the N93 and this thing feels sturdy as a rock but now I hear the N81's another slip-up. There's no point in making a fuss over the N95 any more because the N82 is gonna get announced later today which is basically all the same features as the N95 in candybar format with a Xenon flash. GPS, 5mp camera and everything's all there, looks a damned site smaller as well.

Unfortunately I think the iPhone's going to have to sell under it's own merits and not Jobs' marketing strategies. I wonder if Jobs is gonna cripple the bluetooth like they did in the US launch, cos people over here aren't used to that.

I've decided I'm just gonna wait it out with my ageing N93 now until the Nokia touch-screen phones come out next year.