Just bought an iPhone.. major problem

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fsi16v

Oct 3, 2007
I got an iPhone a few hours ago, came home, plugged it in and activated it and whatever, messed around with it, then set it back on the desk while I went downstairs for a while. I come back upstairs and unplug it, and the phone wont turn on. Its not in sleep mode or anything, I can not get it to turn on. I am thoroughly disappointed in the iPhone right now.. Am I going to be able to exchange it, and if so, can I do it through the AT&T store or do I have to go to Apple?

Thanks in advance.

fsi16v

Oct 3, 2007
A friend just told me to hold the top button and circle button, and it came on and its showing the Apple logo.. Now what?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
A friend just told me to hold the top button and circle button, and it came on and its showing the Apple logo.. Now what?
Plug it back in. You should go through the whole setup w/activation and all that jive. If for some reason you STILL can't get it to work, take it back and get a new one. Apple has a 14 day return policy ATT has a 30 day return policy.

Either way, you'll be up and running by tomorrow at the latest. Be glad you weren't activating on the 29th or 30th or 1st of June/July. I went from Friday night at 9pm to Sunday at 6 w/o ANY cell service and about 15 calls to Apple/ATT before I was up and running. :laugh2:

Anyway, post back, let us know how it works...

fsi16v

Oct 3, 2007
iTunes does not find it if I plug it in. Nothing changes if I plug or unplug it. Will AT&T give me a new iPhone, and will it have to be reactivated?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
iTunes does not find it if I plug it in. Nothing changes if I plug or unplug it. Will AT&T give me a new iPhone, and will it have to be reactivated?
Alright, let me preface w/this: I'm heading to bed after this, so I won't be responding until tomorrow. Hopefully someone will help you if you have more problems.

1. Restart your computer.

2. Hold your home button and sleep button. (The only one on the screen, and the top right button). Keep holding until you see a yellow triangle OR the iTunes logo w/the iPod/iPhone cord at the bottom beneath the logo.

3. Connect your phone to your computer now.

4. iTunes will say you have to restore.

5. Restore, and follow the onscreen directions

5b. Do it as a backup of whatever you named your phone (2nd option under new phone or activate as new...)

6. You should be good to go now.

If this doesn't work, bring your phone back and get a new one. Breathe and relax. You'll have a working phone in no time.

fsi16v

Oct 3, 2007
Nothing will come up besides the Apple logo. I guess I will be visiting the AT&T store tomorrow. Great.

Thank you for the help.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Nothing will come up besides the Apple logo. I guess I will be visiting the AT&T store tomorrow. Great.

Thank you for the help.
Turn off the iPhone completely using the slider.. now, while holding the home button plug it into the computer. Restore should launch.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Make sure your cable is plugged directly into your computer and NOT a USB hub. Some reason my iPhone doesn't like hubs.. heh. had the same problem when i activated mine months back.

ben1380

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Just go to the store noob. Or freakin hold the buttons down like everyone said. HOLD THEM UNTIL THE TRIANGLE COMES UP...man.

fsi16v

Oct 3, 2007
I got it to work, but not because I held the buttons. Excuse me, but I am not retarded. If I held the buttons, it would show the Apple screen, then shut off, then show the Apple screen, and then shut off again. And it would stay off for 5 minutes.

I tried holding home and it gave me the connect to iTunes and I successfuly restored it and everything. Thanks for everyones help.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I got it to work, but not because I held the buttons. Excuse me, but I am not retarded. If I held the buttons, it would show the Apple screen, then shut off, then show the Apple screen, and then shut off again. And it would stay off for 5 minutes.

I tried holding home and it gave me the connect to iTunes and I successfuly restored it and everything. Thanks for everyones help.
No one said you were retarded. You asked for help, and we tried, not knowing or seeing what you were doing.

In any case, glad you got it working.

ChemicalWeather

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
glad to hear you fixed it but i had the same problem before and heres how i fixed it, i had to uninstall iTunes mobile device software through control panel (PC) then uninstall and reinstall iTunes. i had to do this twice now (probably from fiddling with apps) and both times solved my problem