Just bought Navigon...and...

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
..I´m glad I did!

This app really rocks compared to TomTom - sorry for the folks who own this one! The Navigon has a easy of use interface, fast search for destinations or addresses in my contacts. The graphic is smooth and clean as a child's ***, and the (Danish) female voice is clear and easy to understand while driving.

One complain is, that Navigon only show one of my contact folders - anyone having this problem?

I'm still on the 3G - but I'm soon moving to 32GB 3GS, so I'll guess this app get even faster and smoother with more power onboard!? :)

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
..I´m glad I did!

This app really rocks compared to TomTom - sorry for the folks who own this one! The Navigon has a easy of use interface, fast search for destinations or addresses in my contacts. The graphic is smooth and clean as a child's ***, and the (Danish) female voice is clear and easy to understand while driving.

One complain is, that Navigon only show one of my contact folders - anyone having this problem?

I'm still on the 3G - but I'm soon moving to 32GB 3GS, so I'll guess this app get even faster and smoother with more power onboard!? :)
A little off topic but yeah I just converted from a 3G to a 3GS and the speed is def a better increase plus a few other cool little things that are awsome.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Navigon is a memory hungry app! If I'm using it, I have to release some RAM through "Free Memory"...that's not the case on the 3GS...I'll guess :eek:k:eek:k

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Navigon is a memory hungry app! If I'm using it, I have to release some RAM through "Free Memory"...that's not the case on the 3GS...I'll guess :eek:k:eek:k
Amen brother. I finally had one of those pop ups saying memory low whilst using it.

It's a good app, but my phone always takes a lot of time to find GPS. Have you had any trouble with this, any tips? Apart from the obvious :sneaky:

Jun 30, 2009
Yes. The app works cool for me too. The graphics is nice and simple. It can search fast the destination. I agree with you in the point memory. Needs a lot of memory and make the phone little bit slow.

ornurse

Nov 20, 2008
I've had it a couple of weeks now and was confident after the first week to sell may Garmin. I found with the lane assist, it was easily equal too or better in many ways than my 255w. The only thing, in my opinion, that gave the Garmin the advantage was the tts, which will be coming soon. I can't praise this app enough.

As far as contacts not working. I can get all my contacts to work. It takes a little editing in my contact list, but they all work. They way it worked for me was to cut and paste from Google maps and Yellow pages (reverse search).
Anyway for me, worth the money

Jul 14, 2008
I thought this app was worthless because you can't read the street names. The text is entirely too small. Also, the olive green map background makes the already small hard to read text impossible to even see. It hurts my eyes.

I've gone back to using my Garmin.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
A little off topic but yeah I just converted from a 3G to a 3GS and the speed is def a better increase plus a few other cool little things that are awsome.
You can't get much more off topic than that.

smeg36

Aug 15, 2009
I don't know if it's just Miami, or if I'm doing something wrong, but Navigon's POI was awful for me. They didn't have almost every POI I've used on other GPS programs. Is it just me, or is Navigon's POI seriously lacking? I liked the program, but couldn't rely on it's POI database.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don't know if it's just Miami, or if I'm doing something wrong, but Navigon's POI was awful for me. They didn't have almost every POI I've used on other GPS programs. Is it just me, or is Navigon's POI seriously lacking? I liked the program, but couldn't rely on it's POI database.
I'm living in Europe, Denmark and can't complain so fare, but I can't speak for the oversea situation. Remember one very important thing - this app is only at the "baby-level" 1.1.0....I'll guess the upcoming versions will show us many great new features, more POI's and fixes.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm taking the Navigon plunge today. I wish I bought it at $79.99 but I wanted to see how the TomToma app would fare first.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have a 2009 Acura TSX and I was able to have the voice go through my stereo speakers. In fact, the iPod volume would come down when the voice spoke. Really nifty!

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
In another thread I compared the two and even though the TT is still in its first iteration, I prefer it over the Navigon 2.2 (I have both).

I have a feeling that if I had a 3GS I would not be encountering some issues.
The program is definitely a memory hog and even freeing memory still causes the program's UI to be sluggish once its loaded. This makes address input and other tasks laborious and time consuming.

What I don't like STILL about Navigon:
1- Very limited in scope with respect to detours. Only 1/2 or 1 mile avoidance. That is not good at all. Is there something nested in their menu maze that makes detours easier?
2- Voice instructions are clear but the warning comes too late. What's up with that?
3- Sometimes she doesn't complete her sentence and you have to touch the screen to reissue the command
4- Where is the route summary?
5- Still loses the GPS signal much more often than the TT does.

I REALLY want to love this app because the graphics are so cool compared to TT. Maybe if I get a 3GS the problems will be solved with a lot of the issues.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
DJ, I agree with your observations. I do, however, like the app. The announcements only occasionally come too late, but I do very much miss the route summary (which, I think, is forthcoming). I find that it takes longer than it should to readjust when I change routes. The graphics are what have won me over.