Just checkin'! =]

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Hey guys! Been a long time, I have been SO busy! Anyway, I will finally have enough money soon for an iPhone, and I just needed to make sure that these things I am hearing are actually true, haha.

1.) Is the iPhone SIM actually compatible with other phones?

2.) If I put the iPhone SIM into an internet-capable phone and use the web, will I be charged extra?

3.) If I put the iPhone SIM into an SMS capable phone, and assuming I have unlimited texting, will I be able to SMS text for no extra charge?

4.)When I have the iPhone SIM card in another phone that is MMS capable, assuming I have the unlimited texting plan, can I send MMS messages (as opposed to SMS) without an extra charge?

5.)If I have the iPhone SIM in another phone that is 3G capable, will the internet work still? And will it run EDGE or 3G?

6.)Are only certain phones compatible with the iPhone SIM?

7.) What phone do you recommend for opposite the iPhone, as in for places where taking an iPhone may not be a good idea. I was thinking a Blackjack, but again, not really sure.

Thank you so much in advance! I have looked a bit on the web, but haven't found exact answers, and I trust all of you great people on this Forum. Thanks again! And I hope to be more active... haha. =]

~Aaron~

JiggyMatt

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Not that I am aware of

2.) If I put the iPhone SIM into an internet-capable phone and use the web, will I be charged extra?
I don't think so

3.) If I put the iPhone SIM into an SMS capable phone, and assuming I have unlimited texting, will I be able to SMS text for no extra charge?
I would like to think so

4.)When I have the iPhone SIM card in another phone that is MMS capable, assuming I have the unlimited texting plan, can I send MMS messages (as opposed to SMS) without an extra charge?
Probably

5.)If I have the iPhone SIM in another phone that is 3G capable, will the internet work still? And will it run EDGE or 3G?
I feel like im filling out a myspace survey. IDK

Not sure

7.) What phone do you recommend for opposite the iPhone, as in for places where taking an iPhone may not be a good idea. I was thinking a Blackjack, but again, not really sure.
BlackBerry Curve

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Hey guys! Been a long time, I have been SO busy! Anyway, I will finally have enough money soon for an iPhone, and I just needed to make sure that these things I am hearing are actually true, haha.

I think Its pretty much a Basic SIM card, but don't quote me on it. Ive heard of people
removing their SIM and putting it into a different phone for when they're going
somewhere where they don't want to take their iPhone, so would think its a basic SIM
(current generation) But if you were to put into a different phone you would be on
AT&T's network.

Would depend on your Data plan of what ever is on that SIM.

Would Depend on your SMS package, basic iPhone package comes only with 200 SMS

Carriers Consider SMS and MMS to different Services. MMS's actually use both SMS
and Data. So again, would depend on your plan.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think AT&T only uses Edge. But would think it would
use 3G if you were roaming.

Refer to Answer for question #1.

Thank you so much in advance! I have looked a bit on the web, but haven't found exact answers, and I trust all of you great people on this Forum. Thanks again! And I hope to be more active... haha. =]
The only place I would think about not taking my iPhone would be if I was doing a lot
of outside work where I would get really dirty ( such as a really dusty work area ),
camping, rafting.. etc.. Common sense places where you would want a phone that
you wouldn't worry about getting filthy or wet to say..

~Aaron~

Hope It helps!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

1.) Yes; at least with other AT&T phones.

2.) Nope.

3.) Yes.

4.) Not sure.

5.) It will work and you'll get 3G if available!

6.) IIRC they need to be current AT&T or Cingular phones (i.e., not an older ATTWS phone).

7.) Not sure--still deciding on that myself.

--
Mike

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
I was looking on Cingulars website last night and for people who are due for an upgrade can get refurbished blackberrys very cheap! one is free another is $19.99. I think Im going to order one as a back up phone.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I just bought me a $19.99 GoPhone to use as a backup for when i am out on the boat or camping and now at a bar, as I get tired of drunks always asking to see my iPhone when they see me using it.

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
I just bought me a $19.99 GoPhone to use as a backup for when i am out on the boat or camping and now at a bar, as I get tired of drunks always asking to see my iPhone when they see me using it.
well I have a new gophone at home as well, hmm i didn't even think of using that. I was thinking blackberry so I can still check email and get online.
Right before I got my iPhone I asked if I could transfer the SIM to another phone for the same reason, bar, boat things like that and they said no, obviously thats not the case!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
well I have a new gophone at home as well, hmm i didn't even think of using that. I was thinking blackberry so I can still check email and get online.
Right before I got my iPhone I asked if I could transfer the SIM to another phone for the same reason, bar, boat things like that and they said no, obviously thats not the case!
I've used my SIM in a 8525 and a Blackjack no problems. I've actually yet to use the GoPhone, i just got it. I was told it would work though. sounds like there are some confused AT&T employees! imagine that :laugh2:

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I've used my SIM in a 8525 and a Blackjack no problems. I've actually yet to use the GoPhone, i just got it. I was told it would work though. sounds like there are some confused AT&T employees! imagine that :laugh2:
Wow - I'm glad you posted that! I have a question. With the iPhone's SIM in the 8525 did you text or use a data connection? Have you been billed yet? I was told when I purchased the iPhone that the SIM would work in any phone, but that data and text would NOT work. Of course, later I was told it might work, but that I would be billed per KB of data and per text message. Have you found different? This is potentially a HUGE deal for me and my other "businesss" device...
Thanks!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Wow - I'm glad you posted that! I have a question. With the iPhone's SIM in the 8525 did you text or use a data connection? Have you been billed yet? I was told when I purchased the iPhone that the SIM would work in any phone, but that data and text would NOT work. Of course, later I was told it might work, but that I would be billed per KB of data and per text message. Have you found different? This is potentially a HUGE deal for me and my other "businesss" device...
Thanks!

I just used it for voice. I didn't do any text or data. I just stuck it in my brothers phone to see if it would work. I would imagine the text wouldn't cost anything but data probably would as data plans for other phones are more expensive than the iPhone plan.