Just clarifying.....

jonpno

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
i have a jailbroken iPhone and have decided to update to 1.1.3. now when i go into iTunes i hit restore then it asks me to back up my phone or not and i hit back up then it comes up with a button that says restore and UPDATE. im just making sure im not going to get bricked if i hit that button. i know it says RESTORE and update but i just want to be sure.

Thanks,
Kevin

jonpno

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
bump. please does anyone know if im in the clear. also should i uninstall the programs i put on through installer because i have read even after a restore traces of 3rd party prescene are there.

thanks

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
During a Restore, the 3rd Party Applications themselves are removed. However, I have found that some files eft by the apps are not.

I don't know the answer to your question however. I would wait until somebody confirms that updating to 1.1.3 from jailbroken 1.1.2 is safe before you update to be safe.

- John

jonpno

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
well the button says restore and update so im guessing its ok. anyone know

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you update successfuly let us know. I have some friends with jailbroken Touches and one with a jailbroken iPhone that would like to update and want me to confirm if it's okay.

- John

jonpno

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
well im not just gonna update. im gonna restore and update. do you know if i am able to just restore without updating?

Optimous

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
you have to restore firt then update...thats what i did for my pimip phone and it worked

jonpno

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
well i hit the restore button and it says restore and update but i want to know if im able to just restore then update later.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You can update without restoring (on a Jailbroken iPhone, do not try with an unlocked iPhone) but it will likely not completely clear the phone of everything you have added since Jailbreaking. In order to make sure that the update clears out all of the old Apps and customizations, you will want to restore first, and then update to 1.1.3.

jonpno

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
has this been confirmed? updating on a jailbroken 1.1.2 iPhone to 1.1.3 without a restore? also does anyone know how to just restore without updating yet. because i hit the restore but it gives me update and restore.

Sep 29, 2007
I think the safest way to is downgrade to 1.1.1/restore to 1.1.2 not 1.1.3 first. Not only does the restore erase the third party applications but I THINK that placing in a new firmware would erase the other files which were not erased. Thus from there you would have a clean iPhone and it should work.

No proof yet just speculation.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Okay. I'm going to test this out by jailbreaking 1.1.2, installing BSD Subsystem, (because everybody installs it), and attempting to update to 1.1.3.

Erica over at TUAW did the process successfuly. Hopefully I will do the same. If not, and I'm bricked, I'm sure a fix will be out soon.

Here goes.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Alright. So I jailbroke 1.1.2 by downgrading, etc. I installed nothing but the BSD Subsystem, as almost everybody has it installed, and I wanted to do the same process that everybody else would use.

- Jailbroke 1.1.2 by downgrading, etc. Installed only BSD Subsystem, making it and Installer the only two un-official programs on the phone.
- Docked iPhone and synced as usual.
- Clicked Restore, then Restore and Update.
- Agreed to Software License Agreement.
- Update began downloading. This one is obviously a whopper; 162.1 MB with a download time of 20 minutes.
- Download complete.
- iTunes is extracting the software. Now preparing for Restore.
- iPhone reboots, shows Apple logo and status indicator.
- Restoring iPhone software.
- Verifying iPhone software
- Message: Your iPhone has been Restored to factory settings, etc, etc.
-iphone Reboots, makes ding sound, connects to iTunes.
- iPhone is Activated .
- Restoring from backup of John's iPhone.
- Message: The settings for the iPhone have been restored, etc., etc.
- iPhone boots. I get message on how to re-arrange the home screen; I'm on 1.1.3.
- iPhone syncs. There is a rather large portion of 'Other' - despite the phone's lack of 3rd Party Apps. Interesting. Perhaps I'll try another Restore after American Idol.

So yes, you can safely update to 1.1.3 from a jailbroken 1.1.2. Note that you may want to uninstall all of your apps first, as I didn't have any Installed.

- John

jonpno

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
thanks so much. i owe you a bunch

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Alright. So I jailbroke 1.1.2 by downgrading, etc. I installed nothing but the BSD Subsystem, as almost everybody has it installed, and I wanted to do the same process that everybody else would use.

- Jailbroke 1.1.2 by downgrading, etc. Installed only BSD Subsystem, making it and Installer the only two un-official programs on the phone.
- Docked iPhone and synced as usual.
- Clicked Restore, then Restore and Update.
- Agreed to Software License Agreement.
- Update began downloading. This one is obviously a whopper; 162.1 MB with a download time of 20 minutes.
- Download complete.
- iTunes is extracting the software. Now preparing for Restore.
- iPhone reboots, shows Apple logo and status indicator.
- Restoring iPhone software.
- Verifying iPhone software
- Message: Your iPhone has been Restored to factory settings, etc, etc.
-iphone Reboots, makes ding sound, connects to iTunes.
- iPhone is Activated .
- Restoring from backup of John's iPhone.
- Message: The settings for the iPhone have been restored, etc., etc.
- iPhone boots. I get message on how to re-arrange the home screen; I'm on 1.1.3.
- iPhone syncs. There is a rather large portion of 'Other' - despite the phone's lack of 3rd Party Apps. Interesting. Perhaps I'll try another Restore after American Idol.

So yes, you can safely update to 1.1.3 from a jailbroken 1.1.2. Note that you may want to uninstall all of your apps first, as I didn't have any Installed.

- John
YOU MEAN I MISSED AMERICAN IDOL?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
John (MacManPro)

Okay I have a jailbroken 1.1.2 phone.
I have never had to restore and had not problems in any way with my jailbroken phone.

After reading your post I:

Should remove all of my present 3rd party apps, except BSD and Installer, and update.

Will I have to jailbreak again, which I am hestitant to do since I nearly lost my mind trying to do it the last time,or does the phone remain in the jailbroken state?

Am I paranoid in the presumption that Apple MUST have put SOMETHING into this update to either affect jailbreaking and 3rd party apps, and/or something to track whether it has been jailbroken?

Just asking

thanks
Dana