Just Dropped my iPhone 4S!

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by IceCold357, Feb 19, 2012.

1. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Everything still works fine but the screen is cracked. I have no Apple Care and I have had the phone over 30 days. Am I screwed and have to pay full price for a new one? Thoughts and sympathy please. I am deeply hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Attached Files:

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple will repair/replace it for $150. Do you live near an Apple Store?

3. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Really Europa? I can go to Jacksonville. It's about 2 hours away but will be worth it.

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

AppleCare provides a one time replacement. Europa nailed it. ;)

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep. Make sure you make an appointment. They don't do walk-ins. Does it still work so you can use it until you get it fixed?

6. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

But I don't have Apple Care. Can I still get a replacement?

7. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Yes everything works fine. I am using it to post right now. I have made calls to my wife to make sure it still works and it's good.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple stopped doing the free one-time replacement when the 4S was released and they started offering Apple Care+. He'd be able to get it fixed for $50 if he had Apple Care+. It only covers two replacements, though. You have to buy it at the time of purchase or take it into an Apple Store within 30 days of purchase to buy it.

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

That is correct. You are correct but he doesn't have AppleCare. Looks like may have to pay or do a screen replacement.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Put a cheap screen protector on it to protect it and prevent pieces of glass from falling out. I'd also give Apple a call tonight or tomorrow. There is a possibility that they will ship you a new one since you aren't near an Apple Store. Of course, they'll charge you $29 (on top of the $150) for shipping (2 day) and put a $650 - $850 hold on your credit card until they receive the broken one, you'd probably pay $29 in gas anyway. You return the old one in the same box and return shipping is free.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He'd have to pay either way. It's $150 without Apple Care+ and $50 with Apple Care+. The free replacements are a thing of the past.

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

For the 4s. What about for the 4. 3GS is still free replacement. They are giving those away. I just got one for a broken one I bought cheap on Craigslist.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The OP has 4S, and that's the policy I was referring to. But I'm pretty sure they started charging to replace a broken iPhone 4 as well. I've read that they are doing this mainly for consistency. The new policy started in October.

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Makes sense. I know there are standards and rules but we all know that if you get a good genius you are going to get "hooked up". All depends I guess.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It used to be that way. I asked an Apple repair tech about it last month and he said they don't do free ones anymore. He said this was for consistency. The policy changed October and coverage for cracks and water damage was introduced for the first time. It wouldn't make sense to charge someone $99 or coverage plus $50 for a repair, but have half the people still be able to get it replaced for free if they were nice or got a good genius. I suspected this would happen when I first heard about Apple Care+ in October and he confirmed it.

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I'm all for the consistency. Makes it fair for everyone. When I took in the 3GS the other day it was cracked screen and I couldn't get it to charge. Looked like charging port was bad. The genius gave me a replacement with little questions. It is a refurb but it cost me 50 bucks on Craigslist. Using it as an iPod.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It might have been more about the charging port not working. If there is a hardware problem, they still swap them out for free - often even if they are out of warranty.

18. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

I will call the Apple store when I wake up. I am trying not to think about it though. I can't even look at my phone right now. This really sucks.

19. applejailescape

Gold

you usually get a year Apple care + there are hundreds of phone shops that could repair it for you!

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have one year to purchase regular Apple Care, but not Apple Care+. It's 30 days and must be purchased along with the phone or the phone must be taken in to an Apple Store within 30 days so they can inspect it first.