Just FYI, LogMeIn does work, but is limited...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I have seen a couple of posts around here regarding LogMeIn.com (a web application that allows you to control your PC from your smartphone)

I tested it out tonight, and it actually does work with the iPhone. You just have to adjust the remote control settings to use HTML, not ActiveX. This means that the page refreshes slowly (it takes like two or three seconds) and you only see a "snapshot" of your computer screen, but it is pretty usable. You can click on things.

And while it does work for Flash applications, it doesn't show animations, so it would only work for simple Flash games where animation isn't necessary. You also can't type into text fields.

It's still pretty cool to be able to see your desktop from your phone though; you guys should check it out:

http://www.logmein.com

And yeah, I know that people can just use WebVNC. I just wanted to clarify that LogMeIn does actually work. ;)

aliphoner

Jul 22, 2007
remote control settings?

Thanks for the info. I had tried logmein previously on my iPhone and couldn't get it to bring up my home desktop. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but when you say adjust the remote control settings to use html, what do you mean? Do I do that on the iPhone or on my desktop or when I log in to logmein.com?

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Thanks for the info. I had tried logmein previously on my iPhone and couldn't get it to bring up my home desktop. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but when you say adjust the remote control settings to use html, what do you mean? Do I do that on the iPhone or on my desktop or when I log in to logmein.com?
You can do it on either your computer or your phone, actually.
But if you do it from your computer, right click on the logmein icon down on your task bar on the right hand side, and click "Open logmein."

A window will pop up with all kinds of boxes where you can change different settings. Click on the one that says "Preferences," and then click on the link "Remote control settings"

In the first box that's titled "General settings," one of the options will say 'Default Remote Control," and there's a drop down box that gives the options:
ActiveX
Mozilla
Java
HTML

Just select HTML, then scroll down and hit Apply.

Then you should be able to remote control from your phone by going back to logmein.com