Just got 16GB 3GS after 8GB 3G died - takes forever to sync

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Well, on Monday last my iPhone 3G died :( I'm not too bothered about getting a 4 until any possible glitches have been ironed out. However, that's the not the point of this thread. I'm with O2 and the chap in the shop told me if I backed up new phone from old via iTunes I'd not lose contacts &c. So far so good. However, everything other than photos (excluding camera roll) seems to be transferred over successfuly. Also the actual sync-ing takes a loooooooooong time. One other question: How do I export contacts? Thanks in advance for any help

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
You can't export contacts as such, you have the option to back them up to your pc / mac then export them through there though.

With regards your sync. Make sure you have photos checked in the sync options.

For what its worth, I think it was a bad move buying a 3GS. Although its a great phone why spend that much upgrading to an old model? The only "glitches" on an iPhone 4 will be software based anyway, and now the 3GS and iPhone 4 are running the same iOS4 software, then any problems on the iPhone4 will be experienced by you on your 3GS

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
thanks

Hi - I would have been completely without a mobile phone till the release of 4 - and I need to be in contact with people in my family on a daily, if not an hourly basis - hence the u/grade to 3GS. Was wondering - could I drag & drop the folders from my photos into the iPhone? It's only the photos which are the sticking point - and yes, everything I want to be checked is :)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
No you arent able to drag and drop photos onto the phone. You need to click on the photo tab in iTunes and make sure you have selected the correct options (i.e sync all photo albums, sync only select ones etc etc)

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
yes, just tried & failed to D & D ;) will give it another shot - it's not horribly important re photos - just puzzling

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Photos should sync just fine aslong as you have it set up ok. Just for info, what setup are you using? Pc / mac? What version of iTunes etc...

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I'm on Windows Vista - latest ver of iTunes - 3.1.3
Ok well in the photo tab you need to make sure you have the correct options. So on windows i think you have to select your phone to sync from where ever you have your photos stored (my photos) or whatever. Then make sure you have specific folders checked or just select sync all. On the iTunes tab you should see in "photos" once you have selected the sync options that iTunes displays in brackets how many photos will be synced - make sure you have a number in brackets and the photos tab. If you don't see a number in there, thats why your photos arent syncing.

I get an error message when I try to export my photos from my PC to my iiPhone4. It says that if I do export the photos from the folder I selected, that "are you sure you want to remove 26 apps, including "ABC News", fromthe iPhone? This will delete these apps and their data from the iPhone." Well I know I don't want to delete my apps - but I don't know what the apps have to do with my photos that I am trying to import to my iPhone4