Just got a MacBook Pro!! :)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Booyow1204, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Hi Everybody!!,

Super stoked, finally bit the bullet and purchased my first MacBook today, I purchased the Pro at my local Best Buy. Before that I was using a PC on Windows 8.1 (happy to say bye to Windows lol). I am totally new to Mac OS (I have an iPhone and an iPad). Besides getting used to the new software I am also getting used to the smaller screen, my previous laptop was a 17" HP Pavillion that I bought in 2009. It's a solid laptop but over the years has just slowed down.

My model is the MacBook Pro Retina 13" (2015).
    Specs: 2.9GHz Dual-core i5, 8GB 512GB Flash storage

I'm loving it so far, if anyone has any tips for me being new to Mac I would appreciate it. Anyone have any apps, software, or even tutorials to recommend for me?

Thanks guys, I love my Mac so far

#1 Booyow1204, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Very awesome! I've had my Macbook Pro for 8 years now. All good. I wish I could convince my grandmother to get one but she has so much stuff on her Dell that wouldn't be compatible. She's used to her apps she has. I tell her there are alternatives but it's not working. :p

4. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Yah it took me some time to jump on the bandwagon, mainly I have been using Windows for so long and price was a deterrent, new job so recently can afford it. I was getting sick of windows and its random slowdowns and all of a sudden things that you have been using for years are no longer compatible lol... I'm loving the machine so far, its so beautiful.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I haven't had any issues with mine besides one time with the battery. It cost me $50 for a authorised company to test computer only to find out the battery needed to be taken out and out back in. How rude! They shouldn't have charged me haha.

6. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Yah, I hear that Mac's rarely have any problems, my biggest sigh of relief is the lack of viruses, one thing I am still sorta researching on is the best warranty for it (just got it today so still have time). Whether through AppleCare or through Best Buy's warranty replacement program (bought it at Best Buy my particular model was 100.00 off compared to the Apple Store...any thoughts?

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

If you feel that you may need something so if an issue comes up, then be my guest. I haven't ever spent extra money for warranty etc with anything Apple related. I would compare what you get with the warranty through Apple and through Best Buy. Also, do you have an Apple Store nearby? That is the issue for me. I would have to mail it in.

8. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Welcome to the club. MacBooks are awesome. The other night I made a trip to the big city and stopped by the local Apple Store and I left there coveting the new 2 lb., Golden MacBooks. But I'll probably suffer with my MBP till at least late fall.

9. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Yah, the golden Macbook is a beauty, I decided against it because I know it won't be my main machine and I was searching to replace my primary computer which was an HP (lasted me 6yrs, I got tired of it before it got tired of me LOL), I wanted more ports and more power even though the new MacBook can still hold its own, how old is your MBP?