Just got a Text From Apple/AT&T

Sep 29, 2007
I just received a Test Message from Apple and AT&T which is a first from the both telling me to upgrade to the new firmware 2.0.2. I wonder why they want me to upgrade so badly and havn't done this before.

Test Message:
A Free message from Apple and AT&T: An important software update for the iPhone 3G has been available on iTunes since this past Monday. To get it, simply synch your iPhone 3G with iTunes and click the "Check For Update" button.

The thing that I think is funny about this is that they spelled it out as Synch but in iTunes they have it as only Sync.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 25, 2008
I updated and it didn't fix a damn thing.

Still have poor 3g reception.

Still have SMS lag.

Still lose sound from texts.

Sirius389

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
New Jersey
I got it about a half hour ago, its funny how they spelled sync 'synch' but i already updated, it actually works better, so im happy with it. id really like the push instant messaging to be released soon.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I got it about a half hour ago, its funny how they spelled sync 'synch' but i already updated, it actually works better, so im happy with it. id really like the push instant messaging to be released soon.
I just went back and noticed that.. lol funny

bambam26

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I got it this am. Joke if you ask me I will not be updating. Especially with some of the problems that people are complaining about.

wyseguy79

Aug 23, 2008
I just did the update on my iPhone 3G, and 75% done it pops up with a Error message telling me the phone cant be updated "Error 6". Now because of this it just keeps telling me to restore, I hit the restore button and same thing I continue to get this message that says iPhone could not restore, error code 6.

Im going to try a few solutions I have seen in around the net, if I come up with anything I will post it here, or any other forum where troubleshooting has already occurred.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I just did the update on my iPhone 3G, and 75% done it pops up with a Error message telling me the phone cant be updated "Error 6". Now because of this it just keeps telling me to restore, I hit the restore button and same thing I continue to get this message that says iPhone could not restore, error code 6.

Im going to try a few solutions I have seen in around the net, if I come up with anything I will post it here, or any other forum where troubleshooting has already occurred.
Search here at EiC and you'll find some solutions to error code 6.

wyseguy79

Aug 23, 2008
Thanks, I just did. I am attempting the "Hold Shift while doing a restore" and I am installing the previous version of the iPhone OS 2.0.1. So far it worked. I am now in the "Restoring iPhone from Backup Phase"

Thanks guys.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

^^ you might need to delete iTunes completley (which can be quite a chore in itself) along with quick time and Bonjour... Reinstall all iTunes again and reconnect the iPhone and update. Make sure all your info is in address book or outlook or something because you're going to loose it off the phone and iTunes obviously... Search around here, though. Might be an easier way..

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Ugh the Error 6 message isn't a fun one. Try doing as OJ said.

As far as the text, I got it as well and have no intentions of updating anytime soon.

cococawaii

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
I got that text yesterday. I have no interest in updating. I accidentally upgraded to 2.0.1 and it deleted my jailbreak which really ticked me off. I know there's already a way to JB the 2.0.2 firmware, but I really have no interest. My reception and internet speeds are just fine. Don't fix what's not broken (at least in my case). I don't want to risk having to restore my iPhone again.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008

Still have SMS lag.

Holy smokes, you have the same exact problems I do and your right the updated did absolutely nothing but on the bright side it didn't screw anything up (that I know of anyway)

wyseguy79

Aug 23, 2008
Thanks, I just did. I am attempting the "Hold Shift while doing a restore" and I am installing the previous version of the iPhone OS 2.0.1. So far it worked. I am now in the "Restoring iPhone from Backup Phase"

Thanks guys.

Solved my problem, restored from the previous version and im back in action.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA

Still have SMS lag.

I upgraded and it fixed my 3G reception.

I have had some SMS lag, but I cleaned up all my SMS messages and that helped (try clearing out old messages, that might help).

Never seen the lost sound from texts before.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
why all the update haters? are you all jailbroken?

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon

I got the same text message so I updated late last night. First I got the error 13 message and then the phone locked up. I did it again and this time it was error 6 then the phone went into emergency mode and I could not update it from that computer. So I pulled out my laptop and did it on that one. What a pain in the ass.

Done deal but it took about 2 hours of my time for a simple upgrade.