Just Got An Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Nrevezzo, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

I took the plunge and bought an Apple TV. If not for problems with my Samsung TV the install and setup would have been a snap.

The HDMI port on the Samsung does not work; seems to be a common problem. I purchased an HDMI to Component converter from Monoprice so I could use component connections instead.
    At first this was a problem, again because of the Samsung that would not recognize the incoming signal. I got around this issue by hooking up the ATV to another TV and changing the TV resolution to 720P. Then I hooked the ATV up to the Samsung and all is working as it should. The Samsung DLP TV is from 2005 so it has some limitations.

I've been able to stream content from my PC using iTunes home sharing. I've also been able to mirror both the new iPad and iPhone 4S.

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Congrats on your new purchase :)

I certainly wouldn't be happy with buying a new 1080p capable ATV and having to adjust the resolution to 720p. I think this is a perfect excuse to go out and buy a new TV.

3. Christopher Meinck

Christopher Meinck Administrator
    Administrator

Does the HDMI work now that you've switched the output to 720p?

4. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

I started the wheels in motion for a "more modern" TV so maybe around Christmas I can make it happen. The HDMI port on the TV doesn't work at all. I tried it with my Dish DVR and my Smasung BluRay player without success.

5. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

You gotta love Samsung. I have a 61" DLP from 2006 that is basically junk since 2009 when one of the LED lamps went out. So there is no red and they don't even make the part to fix it. Can't even give this thing away.

But the HDMI ports work if you want to trade! I hear the ATV2 looks best without red and at 1080p. :)

Michael

6. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

May Samsung is a 50" DLP from 2005. I paid about $2400 back then. Based on other's reported problems with this TV I'm lucky that just the HDMI port doesn't work.
    Sorry Tinman, red is one of my favorite colors. I can't give it up even for 1080P.