Just got an iPad, but I'm worried

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
Should I have waited for the 2nd gen? Are we pretty sure a new one is coming out in April? I'm enjoying it so far- I'd been wanting a Kindle but I like that the iPad can do so much more, and if I turn the brightness down a tad, reading on it is fine and doesn't bother me at all. I just have a vague sense of unease that maybe I should have waited. It was an early Xmas present from the bf.

I don't know.... I should just keep it, right? I have the 16 gig wifi, btw. All thoughts welcome.

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
True, true... I think sometimes I do the "tech geek" thing of thinking "but the next one will have more power", ect ect. I'd been wanting an e-reader for four months now, I really don't feel like waiting a few more months to see if :::maybe::: a new iPad comes out. Besides, mines pretty snappy, it's not like there's anything wrong with it. Thanks for the wise words :)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Should I have waited for the 2nd gen? Are we pretty sure a new one is coming out in April? I'm enjoying it so far- I'd been wanting a Kindle but I like that the iPad can do so much more, and if I turn the brightness down a tad, reading on it is fine and doesn't bother me at all. I just have a vague sense of unease that maybe I should have waited. It was an early Xmas present from the bf.

I don't know.... I should just keep it, right? I have the 16 gig wifi, btw. All thoughts welcome.
If anything, when the new one comes out, jailbreak the old one and sell it on eBay. You'll recoup some of your money and use it to buy the new one. Tis my plan....

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
True, true... I think sometimes I do the "tech geek" thing of thinking "but the next one will have more power", ect ect. I'd been wanting an e-reader for four months now, I really don't feel like waiting a few more months to see if :::maybe::: a new iPad comes out. Besides, mines pretty snappy, it's not like there's anything wrong with it. Thanks for the wise words :)
I thought of telling my wife to wait when she bought hers a few weeks ago, but I'm glad she didn't. Everyone has a different idea of what improvements are going to be made to the next gen of iPads, let alone when they're going to be released. I guessed a front facing camera for FaceTime (we have an iSight cam on our MBP), and probably the Retina Display (MBP is 1080P res), both of which we can live without (for the reasons given in these here parenthesis).

If you're already enjoying the iPad, keep it, and don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'. Thats American consumerism working it's evil magic on you. If you're happy with the technology, that's all that matters...heck, I still love my iPhone 3GS!

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
First, congrats on getting your iPad. Secondly, don't worry so much. I just bought mine as well, and plan on selling it, just before the new one comes out. I'll put the money from the sale towards the new one. In the meantime, at least we can enjoy the iPad that we have now......

ksennette

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Oakland, Calif.
As with all my gadgets, I use them until something better comes out, then sell them or give to friends. Enjoy your iPad now. When the new one comes out, sell the old one and upgrade. A used iPad in good condition will still be worth a lot.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think a lot of people are either too afraid or not savvy enough to jailbreak on their own, and they'll pay a premium for an already-jailbroken device.
Exactly. Holds true for the iPhone and I'm sure the iPad will be the same way. If it goes like the phone does,selling the iPad will pay for most if not all of a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Exactly. Holds true for the iPhone and I'm sure the iPad will be the same way. If it goes like the phone does,selling the iPad will pay for most if not all of a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe
I would say what gives the iPhone an advantage is unlocking more than just jailbreaking.

Personally I don't see much value in just being jailbroken... I can even see that as a disadvantage when selling it (i.e., some people are dead set against it).

Michael

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would say what gives the iPhone an advantage is unlocking more than just jailbreaking.

Personally I don't see much value in just being jailbroken... I can even see that as a disadvantage when selling it (i.e., some people are dead set against it).
Just my thoughts Michael!