just got another iPhone need HELP!

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
well I gave my older one to a family member who couldn't really afford it. That person flew home so I went out and bought a brand new from Apple store. While trying to activate the thing... I noticed it was trying to get me to do another 2 YEAR? I was mad about this went to AT&T store and people there were so clueless... so in order to activate this new iPhone I have to extend my 2-year with AT&T>?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
no.. im sure that you hit cancel when you get to the contract page then there is an option that says "replace current phone with this phone" or something like that.....

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
damm when plugged in another iPhone to my comp iTunes asked me if i wanted to replace the existing phone wit the one that i had just plugged in.... did you try again?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Was the iPhone you gave away deactivated?

If not, that may be your issue. You can't exactly have tow iPhones using the same phone number with the same contact.

Call AT&T. Not your local retail store; the people that work there are usually quite helpless. The big guys can probably offer more assistance.

- John

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
you took out the sim card right when you gave it to him.. that is what I was referring to when i was saying that iTunes would ask if you waned to "replace this phone" because it will recognize that there is a sim card that is iPhone activated and it wants to make sure that you want to replace, the only way that i got to this was when i wanted to quit and i hit cancel or back , one of those..... hope that this works out

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
i took out the sim card. There was no option to replace my existing iPhone. I'll call AT&T again... the first time called they lady told me iPhone care was closed... we'll see. thx

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
oh ok .. put the sim card IN the phone then plug it in ... that shoudl work for sure... i know that it is there .. ive seen it..
That is correct, but he still may need to call in to update the IMEI and serial numbers on his account so it will jive with iTunes.
I'm on iPhone number 4 right now ( battery issues for 2 of them, and the third one basically got freaky with the 1.1.2 update and could not maintain composure) and that's all that they have to do. I walked out of the store with a working phone, and when I got home, it synced all my info back on it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, inserting the SIM will do activation for ya, but like Hawk said, in order to work well with iTunes and all, you may need to do some serial work.

- John

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
well I gave my older one to a family member who couldn't really afford it. That person flew home so I went out and bought a brand new from Apple store. While trying to activate the thing... I noticed it was trying to get me to do another 2 YEAR? I was mad about this went to AT&T store and people there were so clueless... so in order to activate this new iPhone I have to extend my 2-year with AT&T>?
yes, unfotunately, the only way to activate another iPhone is to extend your contract by two years. I broke my iPhone the other day and had to go buy a new one, and I asked the ATT reps if it would change my contract and they said no. But they were wrong and you do have to extend it.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
well first time I called AT&T told me to call Apple. Called Apple and they told me it was AT&T issue... So I called them they told me I had to just activate the 2-Year agreement and the AT&T will reverse my plan to when I started.... and I noticed my battery life on this new phone isn't all that great...

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
well first time I called AT&T told me to call Apple. Called Apple and they told me it was AT&T issue... So I called them they told me I had to just activate the 2-Year agreement and the AT&T will reverse my plan to when I started.... and I noticed my battery life on this new phone isn't all that great...

Question Mr. Meth, did you take your iPhone box and everything to the store or just the phone itself. Because i may exchange mine out tonight, and im just wondering. I bought the phone at an ATT store, not an Apple store.

00vdub

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
The above information is correct. Due to this phone not having a buy outright price or an upgrade price (since both prices are one in the same), the rule was made that anytime an iPhone was purchased you would have to extend the 2 year contract being as you are getting a brand new phone. You get to take a little but you have to give a little as well.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Just call them up. They are not aloud to get you to sign for another 2 years. With all the laws and regulations out there im sure it is illegal and you can make a big deal with a local news if you wanted to.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
It seems odd that you'd have to extend your contract simply for replacing a phone. But, wait... sre you doing this with a new phone number or did you activate the new iPhone with the old number?

Based on the first post, its unclear whether the relative was given the old iPhone (including phone number) or whether they were just given the iPhone....period. And would have to get their own number.