Just got iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad mini' started by IphoneTony, Dec 24, 2012.

1. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

Love the iPad mini it's perfect! Honestly think when the retina display comes out I will sell my iPhone and buy the LTE version and use as my phone with google voice. I don't talk much so this might be a good alternative. Merry Christmas all

Sent using iCafe app

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

That's exactly what I did! Sold my iPhone 5 and use my LTE mini now for phone with Talkatone and texting with Google Voice!

I rarely use phone functions and it has worked out great so far. Add a Bluetooth headset and phone functions become much easier than using the speaker on the mini.

3. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

What is it like carrying the mini around?

Sent using iCafe app

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Did it come with a playoff ticket for the Giants?

Good to see you back Tony!(y)

5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I carry it in a small messenger bag so it's no problem at all for me. If I get a call I just pull out the BT headset and yack away without ever even touching the mini..

6. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

Haha Chris! A win a some help for the Giants would be nice but nothing in box

Sent using iCafe app

7. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

Still devastated from the last 2 weeks...but hey, we can't complain. 2 Super Bowls in 5 years...

Sent using iCafe app

8. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Thanks for the information on Talkatone and Google for messaging. I have been thinking about using my mini as a phone and now don't have to search for an app. I never even considered using Google for texting. Any quirks or issues to be aware of?

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I have used my Google Voice number to talk and text for years. I don't think a single person has even been given the phone number assigned to my previous phone by the carrier.

The only downside I have found with Google Voice is there is no MMS.. Everyone I know is aware of this limitation so if they want to send me a photo they just email it to me..

Google Voice blows carrier voice mail away! It has a ton more features and can block calls and texts. It actually blocks them so they never arrive or go to voicemail. Google also has a large list of spammers and telemarketers that are automatically blocked.. You can assign different voicemails per caller / contact and a ton of other features.

Talkatone works well and also uses the same Google Voice # so you only need to give out the one number to people.

Even if I bought an iPhone 5 tomorrow I would still use google voice and Talkatone..

I'm a long time user of both and have noting but praise for both apps. As an added bonus both are absolutely free and cost nothing to use. Free phones calls and texts and all you pay for is data when not on WiFi..

Here is some set up info

What you need:

1. A Google Voice account with the free Google Voice phone number
    2. Talkatone from App Store
    3. The Google Voice App from the App Store

Setup:

1. Log into your Google Voice account and make sure under settings that 'Forward calls to: Google Chat' is checked. This will route all incoming and outgoing calls through the Talkatone app.
    2. Log into the Google Voice app that you downloaded and choose the settings that suit you.
    3. Log into the Talkatone app with your Google Voice credentials. Explore the settings and set them how you want.

The last and most important step is........ ENJOY! :)

10. 49ers#1

49ers#1 Member
    Bronze

49ers > Giants

:-P

Sent using iCafe app

11. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

I message far more then I talk.

12. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Same here. I maybe use 30 minutes a month on phone use. I mainly text and email..

13. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

Yeah I never minutes think I have 1,000,001 roll over to use

Sent using iCafe app

14. macscac

macscac Member
    Bronze

No mms is a pain tho...

15. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

NO MMS :0 taking it back to the 1st Gen and iPhone 3G days

Sent using iCafe app

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Doesn't seen like an efficient setup but we all have different requirements, if it meets your needs, go for it.

Sent using iCafe app

17. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

I like this idea. Sick of paying over 100 bucks a month for a little talking, email, and a few texts. Just not worth it. I am going to let my contract expire and jump on the next Mini release. Hopefully it will have retina. Glad I didn't jump on the latest iPhone release and renew my contract!

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why do you need two apps? I'm assuming it's because the iOS Google Voice app is hobbled in some way and Talkatone picks up the slack, but I am curious about the details.

19. Pkshepherd02

Pkshepherd02 Member
    Bronze

My iPad mini should be here soon! So excited. Got the white 32 gb:)

Sent using iCafe app

20. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The Google Voice app for iOS won't make or receive phone calls by itself.. It's only purpose is for text messages and voicemail..

You could actually just use the Talkatone app for both as it also does texts and voicemail like the Google Voice app does.

I use both for a few reasons:

1) After years of cell phones I am use to having different apps for phone and text. So this keeps the look and feel the same.

2) Talkatone has ads and the Google Voice app does not. I text 100 times more than I use the phone. On the rare occasion I use phone function I'm ok with ads but don't want them for the numerous times a day I text.