Just got iPhone 5, help with restore from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by sled14, Nov 8, 2012.

1. sled14

sled14 Member
    Bronze

Hi

I backed up my 4S to iTunes, connect my iPhone 5 and go through the steps to activate including Restore From Backup, select the backup I just did with the 4S. It transfers all of my photos, music, texts, phone numbers but will not install any apps.

Several times I've restored the phone to factory settings then installed the backup but get the same problem each time.

I've had every model of iPhone and every time I bought a new one I would backup the old and everything would transfer. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

2. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

You will need to sync the phone with iTunes in order to get your apps. The backup saves placeholders for the apps and your screen layouts and any data but the actual apps themselves are not contained in the backup.

I restored my new 5 from my 4s backup and that is what I needed to do.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. sled14

sled14 Member
    Bronze

I've restored the phone from my backup and have also synced the phone in iTunes but neither install any apps on the 5

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you have this box checked?

f.png

6. sled14

sled14 Member
    Bronze

You know I thought I did but apparently it wasn't checked, I'm not sure how I restored from backup 6 months ago without that selected. After selecting "Sync Apps" I finally got it working, but was a PITA:

I connected 4S to sync the apps, gave me "sync session failed" so had to close all running apps and do a soft reset (as per instructions for that problem) then it let me sync the apps.

So now I connected the 5 and it was doing a backup, about 25 minutes, then iTunes says "An iPhone has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPhone, then try again."

So I did, then it would turn on to the Apple icon, then after 8 or so seconds turn off. Did this numerous times, disconnected it again from computer and does same thing. Performed soft reset, still does the same thing. Finally connected it to iTunes and it boots up.

Now connected to iTunes, it has all the app icons displayed but not installed. It then proceeds to come up with a "iTunes Sync: ____ failed to install" for every.....single.....app, which isn't quick.

So now, I completely restored the phone to the factory settings, then did the restore from backup and it finally worked.

Thanks for the help