Just got mine

fast1

Jan 27, 2008
I just got my iPhone today and want to know everything about it and what secrets it has

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to EIC. Just a few quick things. There is only one speaker at the bottom of the phone, the other is a Mic. There is no MMS unless you want to e-mail the picture and there is no word on when it might be released in an update, if ever.

fast1

Jan 27, 2008
Cool man Thanks. I do know a little about the phone (some friends have it) I just don't know all the secrets.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
welcome to the world of the iPhone and EIC!

if you just sift through the forums a bit you'll see all the neat tricks there are.

please use the search function before making another thread because there is a high likelihood that it had been asked before.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I just got my iPhone today and want to know everything about it and what secrets it has
Dude (or dudette), welcome to the forums. I seriously think all you need to know is right here. Search and ye shall find.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Welcome! Heres a couple quick tips to get you started.:)

1. Double click the home button for quick access to ipod or phone favorites. Adjustable in settings/general/home button.

2. Double tap the shift key to enable caps lock. Feature must be enabled in settings/general/enable caps lock.

3.Sometimes if you hit the locate me feature in gmaps a second time after it locates you it will narrow your location more accurately.

4. You can use audacity(a free program) or the newest version of garage band to make free custom ringtones with your existing iTunes library.

5. Notes do not currently sync w/ your computer but you can email them to yourself as a makeshift solution.

6. Invisible shield makes a great product that protects the iPhone from scratches and dings w/o adding any extra bulk and is now half off.

7. Make sure to setup a wifi system in your house as the iPhone cannot receive calls while transmitting data using AT&T's edge network.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Tapping the top of a web page while viewing it in safari brings it automatically to the top.

Swipping your finger from left to right across an SMS convo, or an email allows you to delete it.

Those two are probably the most used things that I have discovered :)

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Go to the Apple website and watch all the videos and finger tips. That helped me a lot with little tips.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Welcome to the site and enjoy that iPhone!

- John

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
Tapping the top of a web page while viewing it in safari brings it automatically to the top.

Swipping your finger from left to right across an SMS convo, or an email allows you to delete it.

Those two are probably the most used things that I have discovered :)
ha ha! This was a great find! I had no idea about tapping the top of the browser.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
fast1, welcome. I don't know how computer literate u are, but me, most of the time I'm lost trying to understand some of this stuff. All that said, these guys are AMAZING and very willing to assist u. So welcome again and enjoy your phone and EIC.:laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Welcome to the forums, hope you hang around and enjoy everything there is to know and learn about your new toy!;)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Welcome! Heres a couple quick tips to get you started.:)

1. Double click the home button for quick access to ipod or phone favorites. Adjustable in settings/general/home button.

2. Double tap the shift key to enable caps lock. Feature must be enabled in settings/general/enable caps lock.

3.Sometimes if you hit the locate me feature in gmaps a second time after it locates you it will narrow your location more accurately.

4. You can use audacity(a free program) or the newest version of garage band to make free custom ringtones with your existing iTunes library.

5. Notes do not currently sync w/ your computer but you can email them to yourself as a makeshift solution.

6. Invisible shield makes a great product that protects the iPhone from scratches and dings w/o adding any extra bulk and is now half off.

7. Make sure to setup a wifi system in your house as the iPhone cannot receive calls while transmitting data using AT&T's edge network.
Notes syncs with my computer, why not yours? I still have notes from last July!

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
What notes program do you use that syncs to the iPhone notes? Is it PC or Mac?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I've synced with both my pc and mac, and notes has always synced. I really don't know what program would be involved. I've never paid attention, it's just always synced. I wish I could have more info for you.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Are you talking about outlook? Haven't tried that. The iPhone's notes app does not sync with the mac's "stickie notes" or "notes" in the email section.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I've synced with both my pc and mac, and notes has always synced. I really don't know what program would be involved. I've never paid attention, it's just always synced. I wish I could have more info for you.
He means where on the mac do the notes get synced to?(what program or where?) There are 2 possible locations, "stickies" or notes in the email application(only on osx leopard).

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I think I just didn't understand before. When I think sync, I am thinking like my address book...I add a name on my phone, and it gets added to address book on my mac. So I thought you meant you added a note on your phone, and you would then have some version of that note on your computer in a usable form. I think now that you mean sync like backed up, but not usable on your computer.