Just got my iPhone 3G...

JLevine

Jan 14, 2009
So its definitely a nice piece of technology and a beautiful display of proper minimalistic design but I have a few gripes with it (although most of my problems are most likely from ignorance and inexperience).

Cell phone voice plans have become very costly for students like myself. I mean the phone doesn't really increase my productivity or ability to earn money, so I am searching for ways to cut the price of my monthly bill.

I have watched some videos of getting around paying for text messages, but I really hate whenever I text someone using a program like AIM and that long annoying spam of advertisement after each message. Is there another work around that will work and not make texting look horrible?

My second problem is with contacts. Is there anyway I can upload or import edited and formatted pictures from my computer and set them as my contacts images?

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
As far as the text message thing goes I can't really help you with that. In regard to setting pictures to your contacts there are 2 ways to do so. I am giving you instructions for a PC assuming you are using outlook. If not Mac is a similair way but I am not sure exactly how.

1- You can set images from pictures in your phone by setting a picture file on your pc (mac) and sycing that picture file to your phone via iTunes. After the pictures are sync to your phone go to the picture you want to assign and chose add to contact. The result of this will be when you receive a call from that contact the full iPhone screen will show the picture.

2- If you only want the picture to show up in the top right hand corner of the screen during a call you need to assign the picture in outlook. Open your contact in outlook and import the picture to the picture area of the contact in outlook. When you sync your contacts via iTunes the picture will be locked to the contact in the iPhone.

Hope this helped. Good luck and welcome.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
A kind of harder alternative but it still works.

Email the pictures to yourself in an attachment and save them all to your phone. Then, assign the pictures to a contact. THEN, you can get rid of the pictures and they will still be on the contact.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you're on AT&T and a student then it is very possible that you apply for a FAN discount through your college or university. You can try checking AT&T Fan Discount to see if your school qualifies.

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
Cool Youngbinks I was just going to suggest he check to see if his school has a FAN.

Depends on (if there is one) what the contract was negotiated for but often times you can receive anywhere from 10% - 20% off your bill.

As far as contact pictures go.. the easiest way I found, rather than connecting to iTunes or the computer or any of that, is to simply email it to myself (I use gmail so I attach the image from my pc to an email, then it gets sent back to myself, and I open the msg on the iPhone, then save to camera roll, then assign to a contact).

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Congrats :). Sorry I can't answer your questions because they are all network things and Im in Australia.