Just heard a little rumor...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just heard a rumor from out "Cellular Communications" IT guru that Verizon is going 3G (not evdo) in about 6 months, and should have the iPhone at about the same time.
While I know it's only hearsay, I also know that there has to be some validity to that statement because he is working with Verizon directly to improve the cell signal coverage within the building. ( our whole building is practically a dead-zone unless you are near a window.)

Just wanted to let people know.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
This is what I've waited for since June 2007. Verizon works much better in my area and ALL my family and most of my friends are with Verizon. So I use a lot of minutes, txt, etc. on non-AT&T people. I hope it is true because I will pay the ETF and say goodbye to AT&T in a blink of an eye. Thanks for posting that. I have hope.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
This might have to do with them switching to LTE(4G) which is GSM not EVDO. They might want to make their new phones GSM only instead of having both GSM and EVDO chips it would just have a GSM (3G and 4G) one. That way when they switch to LTE they would be heading down the path to be GSM only (except for everyone running EVDO).

Jun 12, 2009
i hope they do, cause AT&T and me, is like a positive magnet & a negative magnet

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
How can they just switch with all of the EVDO customers they still have?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
How can they just switch with all of the EVDO customers they still have?
They wouldn't just forget about them, they would just not provide as much maintenance to that network and wouldn't put any more money into expanding or improving it. When AT&T was getting off an older network of theirs and people still had phones from then they started charging extra for the people using that older network. IF verizon is going to do this they would probably start charging people extra in 10 years that were still using EVDO since that is ample time to get a new GSM phone.

Even if they didn't switch to 3G GSM and down the road when 5G comes out, EVDO will be slow and hard to maintain and they will charge people because they won't want to maintain EVDO anymore.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i hope they do, cause AT&T and me, is like a positive magnet & a negative magnet
don't you mean to similarly poled magnets? a positive field attracts a negative field and visa versa. but positive to positive or negative to negative will repel each other.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'll try and keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Everything that I have heard up to this point, is that Apple is predicted to keep an exclusive contract with AT&T next year.

I have recently heard that T-Mobile is placing a bid on Sprint and if it goes through, they will merge, which I'm assuming would have to coincide with a switch to LTE.

Jun 12, 2009
don't you mean to similarly poled magnets? a positive field attracts a negative field and visa versa. but positive to positive or negative to negative will repel each other.

yes yes yes, damn my bad, no wonder i got a D in chemistry:dft008:surprised

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
yes yes yes, damn my bad, no wonder i got a D in chemistry:dft008:surprised
I hope that was a joke. You know you don't study magnets in chemistry right? You really meant physics didn't ya?! :D

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Actually, magnetic fields do turn up in certain topics of chemistry.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Aren't there positive and negative charges in chemistry?
Yes, but not magnets really. The negative and positive you are referring to is the charges of electrons and neutrons.

The appearance of magnets in chemistry is very limited, and if anyone achieves a D in chemistry, I assure you, they wont have used them. lol

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm still laughing ;)

I suppose it's an easy mistake to make ROFL.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
lol.

I think we should stop talking about magnets and chemistry and get on topic. thanks Mr.R for the giggles.