Just Noticed Differences in YouTube Videos

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Maybe this has been mentioned here before but I never noticed it till just now. When I play a video on YouTube while on wifi it's much more clear than when on Edge. On Edge the video is pixelated and no where near as nice as when viewing over wifi. I can't believe I never noticed this before.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Maybe this has been mentioned here before but I never noticed it till just now. When I play a video on YouTube while on wifi it's much more clear than when on Edge. On Edge the video is pixelated and no where near as nice as when viewing over wifi. I can't believe I never noticed this before.
? Yes, this is true...

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I'm not really much of a YouTube fan so I guess I never noticed. I've probably only watched a handfull of YouTube videos since I got my iPhone a few months ago and almost all of those were on wifi. It never occurred to me that there would be a difference.:eek:

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I love youtube. I would use it more if the video was better on edge. I hate when some asks to look up a video and all I have is edge. Makes the iPhone look bad. Then I have to explain that it would be better if I was on my homes wifi

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
When I go over to my cousin's house, viewing YouTube videos on EDGE beats using her dialup to view the full YouTube website.

It kinda helps that she's right across the street from an AT&T cell tower, though...

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Youtube actually changes the size of the files depending on your internet connection.

There was recently an article on cnet that when youtube senses a lower connection speed it actually gives you a lower resolution video.

I cannot find the article right now but they gave an extension that you can put at the end of the youtube link to get the full res versions.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
Totally different subject, but is that your personal bike? Nice!

tzhourdeka

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I've had a glitch with the EDGE and Wi-Fi YouTube resolution, but it was a good glitch. Where ever I was it had Wi-Fi resolution, but both times my phone ran out of battery later and the glitch was gone, but it would take longer to load if it had good resolution.