Just ordered iPhone, which hack do I use?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

billznik

Oct 9, 2007
So I just ordered an iPhone and it's on it's way to Costa Rica. Now I need to know which hack should I use to unlock it. There have been so many that I'm a little confused and I don't want to brick the phone. So which hack would be the easiest for when my phone arrives? Thanks!

gpmrn

Oct 25, 2007
Hack!

Go to tuaw.com and modmyiPhone.com. they have excellent database & a picture-based tutorial on how to hack your iPhone. DO NOT upgrage to FW 1.1.1 if you're intending to use a prepaid sim card. it will render your iPhone useless. I'm using a prepaid AT&T pay-as-you-go SIM right now and it's working fine. I made a big mistake of upgrading my iPhone once and iTunes locked it. Fortunately I was able to dowgrade back to 1.0.2 again. Until I get enough knowledge base on how to safely upgrade, I ain't touching it! hope this helps. :p

gpmrn

Oct 25, 2007
Firmware

Only firmware 1.0.2 lets you hack or jailbreak your iPhone. If you successfuly do this by following the instructions on TUAW & MODMYiPhone.COM, You can verify your firmware by going to settings/general/about.

billznik

Oct 9, 2007
Ok, I plan to use the tutorials on modmyphone, just 2 last questions. I bought 3 phones, can I use the same computer to unlock each phone, or do I need to unlock each on a different computer? I know that it's hard to use iTunes with 2 iPods so I'm wondering if this is similar? Also, when I unlock the phone, can I still add new songs to the iPhone and NOT update the firmware, or will I just be able to upload songs only once? Thanks!

gpmrn

Oct 25, 2007
iTunes & iPhone

As long as you're using a Mac, you shouldn't have any problems "unlocking" each iPhone. Make sure you back up your HD in case of a crash from some unrelated issues. If you don't, your new HD & iTunes will recognize your iPhones as "from another iTunes" you won't be able to download movies and songs at all unless you restore, which you shouldn't do.