Just out of curiosity... people have problems with the sound

hudson

Jul 7, 2007
I think there ae two volume problems out there. People who can barely hear their phone and people who cant hear it at all. When I say I can barely hear mine I mean if I put the speaker IN my ear I can BARELY hear something. If it is 6 inches away you can hear NOTHING. So I think mine is definitely a hardware issue.

The other issues I have heard about is people who cant hear it in a store, etc. but can in a quiet environment. That is I think a design issue.

kdoran

Jul 8, 2007
left speaker good, right speaker silent (or VERY quiet)

i discovered that ome of my speakers is bad because when my hand or thumb is over the good speaker the sound gets very quiet (it's as if the balance on my sound output is to one side, but it is not as the sound is fine when listening through headphones.

Can others, even those who appear to have good sound, try this and tell me if you are experiencing similar problems? I love my iPhone but am starting to wonder if it would be wise to wait before buying one until after issues like this are fixed.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
there is only one speaker and the other side is the mic. If you cover up the speaker with your hand its not going to sound good at all if at all. I think the sound is a little low sometimes but I am sceptical that a software fix is the answer. I just think the speaker is too small.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
People keep talking about this plastic too. Do you mean the clear plastic screen that cover the screen up or are talking about the black plastic near the speaker that needs to be modifie?

kdoran

Jul 8, 2007
there is only one speaker and the other side is the mic. If you cover up the speaker with your hand its not going to sound good at all if at all. I think the sound is a little low sometimes but I am sceptical that a software fix is the answer. I just think the speaker is too small.
thanks for the info! This makes me feel better. I do think the sound is a little quiet, I don't think one should have to keep the volume maxed to make the speaker phone useable.

On a positive note, it was a smart move on Apple's part to put the ringer caption on the volume adjustment overlay when not in a call. I also think it is nifty how the phone remembers your volume settings for earphones ans automatically adjusta when you plug in earphones.

tranewreck

Mar 21, 2007
every function, (I.E. speaker, phone and music) had a separate volume function. you have to turn it up individually. good luck.