Just purchased my 2nd iPhone and needed some info

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vulture

Dec 12, 2007
I just bought my 2nd iPhone (first one had a tragic death at the beach) and was told it could not be hacked into because it comes with version 1.1.2 firmware. Is this true? Is there anything I could do or am I stuck with a $400 paperweight until 1.1.2 becomes hackable?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
OOTB 1.1.2 can be jailbroken, it just can't be unlocked. So if you are looking to jailbreak it, just follow the normal instructions for 1.1.2, which involves downgrading, jailbreaking, oktoprep then upgrading.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Who knows. It all really depends on how lucky the dev team gets. A lot of the work behind these things is skill and a lot of luck. If you want it quicker, give them a donation and it will persuade them to work on it more. As of last night when I was talking to them they still have no ETA.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I thought "jailbreaking" means the same as "unlocking", which is to free the iPhone of the AT&T lock/hold so you can use it on other networks. Modding (modifying), on the other hand, would mean installing 3rd party applications on any iPhone, jailbroken or on AT&T. If I'm wrong, please educate me.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I thought "jailbreaking" means the same as "unlocking", which is to free the iPhone of the AT&T lock/hold so you can use it on other networks. Modding (modifying), on the other hand, would mean installing 3rd party applications on any iPhone, jailbroken or on AT&T. If I'm wrong, please educate me.
"Jailbreaking" breaks the iPhones inaccessibility to Root access open. After you do this, you can install 3rd party applications, or "mod" in other terms. Unlocking pertains to using the iPhone on any network. "Jailbreaking" was available for the iPhone long before unlocking was. An iPhone must be jailbroken before it can be unlocked, but your not necessarily unlocked if you're jailbroken.