Just restored iPhone.. keeps asking for voicemail password

1. calz

calz New Member

My phone keeps asking my for my voicemail password, and I never set one. Can someone PLEASE help me, I can't chekc my voicemail messages

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

It's the 4 digit code you initially had to enter when you first setup your visual voicemail. If you don't remember it, you need to call AT&T and ask them to reset it for you.
    The next time you go to set it, use something like the last 4 of your social, or drivers license, or first 4 of your zip. Something you can easily remember. Birthmonth and year work as well provided you use the digit abbrv. for the year. Like 1079 if you were born on this day in 1979.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. gcvt

gcvt Zealot Gold

You could also try these methods I found on AT&T's web site...

Reset voicemail password from AT&T's automated system

Call 611 or 800-331-0500.
    Enter the wireless number starting with area code.
    Press 3 to “get help with voicemail.”
    Press 3 to reset your VM password.
    Enter the Billing Zip code for the account.
    After a few seconds, iPhone will display "Password Incorrect - Enter Voicemail Password."
    Enter the last seven digits of the wireless phone number and tap OK.

Reset voicemail password from AT&T's website
    NOTE: You must be registered and logged into myWireless Account to view this information.

From the myWireless Account home page, select Phone/Device then choose the Reset Voice Mail PIN link from the left column.
    IMPORTANT: If there is more than one line on the account, make sure the correct wireless number is displayed in the Wireless Number list before selecting Reset Voice Mail PIN.
    To reset the password for any of the lines on the account, choose a wireless number from the dropdown menu
    Click Submit.
    After a few seconds, iPhone will display "Password Incorrect - Enter Voicemail Password."
    Enter the last seven digits of the wireless phone number and tap OK.

5. calz

calz New Member

yeah that's exactly what i did, thanks

6. gcvt

gcvt Zealot Gold

Excellent - glad you got it worked out!

7. Jww216a

Jww216a New Member

What if the voicemail password was never set? It constantly keeps asking for the password.

8. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

You need to follow the initial prompts on the automated service to set it up, I believe

9. ravjohcry

ravjohcry New Member

Voicemail Password Error

What you have to do is hold the 1 key as if you are dailing into your voicemail. Then at the voicemail menu, go to the administrative option. Then when it says password, choose the password prompt until it asks you for a new password. Then enter a new password.

10. State Tester

State Tester New Member

I figured it out. I don't remember setting a password either but apparently I did at one time. It keeps popping up like yours does so finally I entered a password I use for different things and it went to my voice mail and I had 2 messages. You need to enter a password you think it is or do like it says in other replies and reset it with ATT. Hope this helps.

11. onorobo

onorobo New Member

I'm having a similar problem on my 3gs. I updated to iPhone software 4.0 recently and it keeps asking for a voicemail password, despite the fact I've never set one up. I followed the above instructions and reset it so I that can access my messages, but I'd like to completely remove the password feature. I tried going to system preferences, but if the solution is there, I couldn't find it.
    Would someone be able to tell me how to remove the lock altogether?

12. State Tester

State Tester New Member

After u updated your phone you need to enter the voicemail password

When you setup your iPhone you did enter a password. I was luck and remembered mine. I don't ever remember entering one either. After I entered my password I checked my voice mail to find I had 2. So either enter a password it might be or reset your password then clear your voicemail.
    Rick

13. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot Gold

I know that the default password used to be 1111. You could actually call your friends' phones, hope for them not to answer, then enter the 1111 and change their outgoing message. It was a fun prank to pull.

14. irosas

irosas New Member

In my area the default password is the last 7 digits of the phone number (excluding area code). That will help wth the annoying pop up. However, if you want to eliminate the pwd, then dial and hold the 1 key on the keypad as if you are dialing into your voicemail. Then at the voicemail menu, go to personal options, go to the administrative option, then the password option where you can turn the password OFF or ON. ​

15. AjMo

AjMo New Member

Fairly simply to fix this problem. Here are the instructions from the AT&T site after you sign into your account...

Question:
    How can I reset my voicemail password? Answer:
    To reset your password online:
    1. Log in to myWireless Account and select My Services. Then choose the Reset Voicemail Password link from the right column under Phone/Device Support. Note: If you have more than one line on your account, make sure the correct wireless number is displayed in the Wireless Number list before selecting Reset Voicemail Password.
    2. To reset the password for any of the lines on your account, choose the appropriate wireless number.
    3. Click Submit.
    4. The system will send a text message to your wireless phone with your new password. If your wireless account does not have text messaging, you will need to contact us to have your voicemail password reset.
    To reset your voicemail password from your phone:
    1. Call 611 or 800-331-0500.
    2. Enter your wireless number starting with the area code.
    3. Press 3 to "get help with voicemail."
    4. Press 3 to reset your voicemail password.
    5. Enter your Billing ZIP code.
    6. A text message will be sent to your wireless handset. If your wireless account does not have text messaging, you will need to contact us to have your voicemail password reset. Note: This can take up to 15 minutes.
    To change your password from your voicemail box:
    1. Press and hold the "1" key.
    2. Enter your password.
    3. Press 4, 2, 1 to change your password.

16. Watcher

Watcher Zealot Gold

If you've ever used Visual Voicemail in the past, I can guarantee you that you set it up before. You just don't remember it. Visual Voicemail will not work without initially setting up a password in the first place. ;)

17. MOONPL

MOONPL New Member

GLITCH REPORTED BY APPLE or AT&T

Spoke to AT&T today because I have been having the same issue. I was having it on my 3G after upgrade to new OS. Today I purchased the iPhone 4 and am having same issue. When I spoke to AT&T they said there is a glitch and they are working on it. They told me how to workaround but I am having difficulty with it. They said to set up VM from scratch and I have tried but I must be doing something wrong because no matter what it won't stop asking for the password. Back to the drawing board.

18. casey x

casey x New Member

glad you got it all workin'